Centre for Environmental Rights
The Life After Coal/Impilo Ngaphandle Kwamalahle campaign is a well-established joint campaign by Earthlife Africa, groundWork, and the Centre for Environmental Rights. We aim to discourage the development of new coal-fired power stations and mines; reduce emissions from existing coal infrastructure and encourage a coal phase-out; and enable a just transition to sustainable energy systems for the people.
The campaign seeks to appoint a coordinator on a consultancy basis, starting as soon as possible. The position is for a dynamic and highly organised individual who has a passion for climate justice and a just transition, and a good understanding of energy policy, project coordination and strategic campaigning.
The coordinator will report to and take direction from the campaign steering committee on a regular basis.
The Life After Coal campaign is committed to diversity, inclusion and transformation and strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural, sex and gender diversity within its campaign staff. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply for this post, and will be preferred.
Centre for Environmental Rights seeks to appoint a Life After Coal Campaign Coordinator to be based in Gauteng.
REFERENCE NO: 2/2021
Salary:The consultancy will be for 12 months, with the possibility of extending the consultancy beyond that period. The total consultancy fee for the first 12 months is R540 000.
- An appropriate tertiary qualification
- Sound knowledge and understanding of energy and climate policy, the minerals and energy sector and the climate and environmental justice sector – background in the NGO sector is not a requirement
- Strong leadership qualities and an independent self-starter, but with strong commitment to collaboration and teamwork
- At least 5 years’ experience of advocacy campaigns and/or project coordination
- Strong organising, networking and leadership skills
- Good public speaking, writing and dynamic communication skills
- Excellent computer and digital skills
- Time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- A sensitivity to social issues and the needs of communities impacted by environmental degradation and injustice
- A commitment to diversity, inclusion and transformation
- Strategic communications and advocacy: Coordinating and leading LAC’s strategic advocacy and communication towards realising the campaign’s strategic objectives, and monitoring the landscape and recommend opportunities for promoting campaign objectives. Overseeing the work of the campaign communications lead to promote campaign objectives, and to amplify the work of campaign partners. Where appropriate, acting as spokesperson for LAC, or allocate spokesperson opportunities between LAC partners in consultation with the partners.
- Stakeholder management and networking: Leading LAC’s stakeholder management strategy, including stakeholders in government and the private sector that the campaign has not engaged with extensively in the past. Engaging with the broader support network of LAC, and all LAC partners, and connecting LAC initiatives with other initiatives and developments in these networks.
- Project coordination and implementation: Working closely with the campaign partners to coordinate and implement key campaign decisions, with a particular focus on promoting LAC’s vision of the just transition. Tracking all campaign initiatives and events led by the three campaign partners, and facilitating regular and effective communication between campaign partners.
Please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line: “LAC Campaign Coordinator” and Reference No: 2/2021:
- A cover letter setting out your skills and relevant experience, as well as why you want to be considered for this consultancy;
- A copy of your CV;
- Two recent written references.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The campaign reserves the right not to appoint should there be no suitable candidate.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Centre for Environmental Rights , refer to Legislation – Centre for Environmental Rights (cer.org.za)
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies