South Africa has the highest number of people living with HIV in the world – over 7 million people. To turn the tide on HIV and AIDS, we need to bring all sectors of society together and strengthen the community systems that support people.NACOSA is a networking organisation that brings communities together to tackle HIV and its impact on vulnerable people. We have a 19 year track record of working with donors, government and communities to strengthen community systems and turn the tide on HIV, AIDS and TB.We do this through mobilizing our network of over 1,900 organisations, promoting dialogue between government and affected people, building capacity with accredited training, mentoring and technical assistance and channeling resources to support service delivery on the ground, particularly for children and youth, key populations and women and girls.
NACOSA seeks to appoint Professional Nurse to be based in South Africa.
The main purpose of the professional nurse is to provide quality health services to young people focussed on sexual and reproductive health, HIV prevention including PrEP and HIV testing services. The incumbent will support the achievement of the prevention programme’s targets and to this end, engage in ongoing quality improvement activities to ensure integrated, comprehensive services are rendered from community-based mobiles services, with a focus on adolescent girls and young women and at-risk young people.
• Screen patients on HIV in all services provided at the mobile clinic.
• Initiate PrEP and monitor and manage clients according to DOH guidelines
• Refer clients who test HIV positive to supporting partners or DOH for ART initiation after initial review.
• Assess clients who come for services and facilitate up and down referrals if unable to provide on mobile.
• Screen, diagnose and prescribe appropriate treatments for STI’s and minor ailments as per PHC guidelines.
• Educate participants and promote health and wellbeing.
• Provide education on sexual reproductive health including HIV/TB and STI education to clients.
• Ensure familiarity with local counselling testing and referral guidelines.
• Provide Family Planning counselling & services, perform pregnancy tests as required.
• Follows Family Planning, PACK, Standard Treatment and STI guidelines.
• Assess, advise & treat the client needing a prescription.
• Refer to relevant secondary or tertiary hospital as needed.
• Capture data daily on relevant IT program.
• Ensure sufficient supplies to run the clinic on each day.
• Manage medical waste.
• Assist in maintaining good clinic flow.
• Maintain accurate client records.
• Maintain client confidentiality.
• Assist in liaising with pharmacist regarding supply and management of FPC and STI drugs.
• Assist in the development of an adolescent-friendly service.
• Nursing degree or diploma and current registration with SANC
• Certification/experience in sexual and reproductive health (particularly contraception and STI management); and HIV prevention and management
• Sound technical knowledge of PEP, PrEP, ARV, TB-HIV integration, treatment and care infectious diseases
• Knowledge of national, provincial and district health structures
• A minimum of 4 years community nursing experience.
• Experience and trained on Sexual Reproductive Health.
• Experience working in a donor-funded organisation/NGO or project-based environment and desirable to have experience working with schools
• Knowledge of clinical systems and data management
• Exceptional organisational and administrative skills together with working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Attention to detail
• Pro-active, able to exercise discretion and independent decision-making
• Able to prioritize own workload and work towards deadlines
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and work as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Able to speak other African languages Required minimum work experience
• Minimum 4 years’ experience in public health and NIMART certificate
• Dispensing licence preferred
• PrEP training
• Valid driver’s license
- Sensitive to issues around key populations at risk for HIV, as well as issues relating to gender and sexuality, and a commitment to evidence-informed, rights-based HIV programming
- Can work without supervision; comfortable with diversity; non-judgmental; flexible.
- Must be highly organised, deadline driven and efficient with planning skills and a proactive and positive approach.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, and to coordinate multiple inputs to tight deadlines, with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks consider your application as unsuccessful. NACOSA reserves the right not to make any appointment in this position.
NACOSA respects the privacy of its stakeholders and will treat all personal information provided in line with our recruitment policy and in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about NACOSA, refer to http://www.nacosa.org.za/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies