For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information please consult www.iyfnet.org.
IYF South Africa partners to strengthen education and training systems including public TVET colleges and employer-led learnerships for unemployed youth, with the goal of equipping young people to access and expand economic opportunity. We work with national government and TVET leaders to align courses with industry needs; we equip employers to deliver more impactful life skills training within their learnerships; and we create mutually beneficial partnerships between industry and education systems that improve young people’s lives while also delivering business benefits.
Based in Johannesburg, International Youth Foundation (IYF) seeks to fill the following vacancy:
IYF South Africa is preparing to launch an innovative initiative with Google, DHET and TVET colleges, that will harness the knowledge and skills of young people along with IYF work readiness tools and the Google IT Certificate to strengthen the quality of select public TVET college outputs. Ultimately, IYF will demonstrate that young people who are well equipped with both technical (IT) and behavioural skills, will generate enthusiasm from TVET educators and industry, while also generating positive returns for young people and employers.
The Project Manager will oversee implementation in specific regions (South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya). The Manager will work in-tandem with other IYF staff, employers and government partners, TVET leaders and educators and youth advisors to deliver on the aims of this exciting initiative. The deployment of the project in SA will take place in the Western Cape region.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Leading Project Implementation, from inception through delivery
- Serving as the lead representative for the overall project implementation, managing the initiative’s workplan and budget
- Supporting monitoring and evaluation, and leading regular project reporting
- Designing the Leverage Funding Mechanism/Package: Working closely with IYF’s Country Director, Regional Partners in Nigeria and Kenya, and industry and TVET partners, the Project Manager will design a leverage funding package which will avail of local skills development incentives to fund learner placements for the programme
- Organising and facilitating work placement workshops with employers, overseeing TVET curriculum delivery, and helping to identify potential placement partners
- Overseeing Implementation of Google IT Certificate Programme: Ensures quality implementation of the Google IT certificate programme, provides regular updates to all stakeholders, including programme integration and learner progress (e.g. TVET student work placement)
- Managing contractors and vendors, such as private sector partners and lead programme implementors
- Responding to TVET & Partner Priorities: Cultivates strong working relationships with partner TVET staff, other key stakeholders and host employers, ensuring the initiative is responsive to their needs and working realities and generates excitement and commitment from them
- Appling adaptable project management, continuously mapping skills trends and shifts in programming to align with the project and applying that knowledge to ensure the initiative adapts to these changes and trends
- Ensuring compliance with donor rules
The Project Manager must meet the following criteria:
- 6+ years’ project management experience in the corporate, public, or non-profit sectors, ideally with some experience managing skills development or education projects. At least two years serving as a lead project manager.
- Relevant Undergraduate degree (e.g. Education, Social Sciences, Commerce, Skills Development).
- Inquisitive and self-motivated learner
- Prior experience in the TVET college system or skills development
- Cross cultural competence relating to marketing, monitoring and evaluation and programme management
- Working knowledge of South Africa’s skills development policies and institutions, such as the B-BBEE Codes of Good Practice, and Sector Education Training Authorities (SETAs) policies and procedures
- Prior experience brokering successful partnerships between employers or provincial government stakeholders, through co-creation of shared values and benefits
- Demonstrated ability leading training workshops and meetings in a diverse range of settings, and with a diverse range of corporate, government, and community stakeholders. Ability to adjust communication style as needed. Strong writing skills
- Strong MS Office skills a must, with working knowledge of OneNote and SharePoint an advantage
- Ability to travel in all areas of the South Africa, Kenya and Nigeria regularly, often on very short notice
- Driver’s license and personal vehicle
- South African citizen or permanent resident
NOTE: This position is fully dependent on donor funding and will only be filled pending acquisition of the donor grant.
Only applicants without work restrictions in South Africa should apply.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 05th February 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org