African Climate Foundation
Location: Cape Town or home based 1-year contract
Start date: 1 March 2021
The African Climate Foundation is the first African led climate change re-granting organisation on the continent. Founded in April 2020, The ACF was established to provide a mechanism through which philanthropies can contribute to Africa’s efforts to address climate change. As an African-led and African-based foundation, The ACF is committed to shifting the narrative on climate change and development on the African continent and to supporting home-based solutions to Africa’s climate change challenges.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this is an exciting opportunity for an innovative, strategic researcher to join a first-of-its-kind foundation on the African continent.
To undertake strategic research on the electricity and energy landscape in Africa with a view to informing the development of the ACF’s energy programme. It is intended that this work will be used by the ACF and other actors seeking to support sustainable energy and a just transition on the African continent to identify catalytic areas of intervention and to develop robust strategies for intervention.
Scope of work
- Consolidate the existing technical work and provide a robust and holistic political economy analysis of Africa’s electricity and energy landscape.
- Identify and explore the most important factors influencing the choices that are and will be made about Africa’s electricity and energy future.
- Map the key players shaping the continents electricity and energy choices and their interests therein.
- Identify strategic areas of intervention that can catalyse a systems level shift towards renewable energy and avoid lock-in to fossil fuels across Africa.
- Undertake case studies on selected coal, oil or gas countries on the continent.
- Develop new networks and support existing ones.
- Minimum Masters in Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field. A PhD is ideal.
- At least five years’ experience managing and undertaking research on energy policy, energy systems, energy economics or a related field
- Good understanding of oil, coal and gas economics
- Excellent data extraction and analysis skills
- Experience of working with data and data software packages, e.g. SPSS, STATA, R.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office 365, especially Excel and Powerpoint.
Closing date: 5 February 2021
Applications: Send your CV to and 1-page motivational letter to email@example.com
For further information on The ACF, please go to www.africanclimatefoundation.org
Please accept your application as unsuccessful if you have not heard from us by 5 February 2021