THINK TB & HIV Investigative Network
Position: Enrolled Nurses
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: 1st March 2021
Location: KwaZulu-Natal Province (eThekwini, uMgungundlovu, and uMkhanyakude)
Application Closing Date: 20th January 2021
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for qualified Enrolled Nurses to support the implementation of the THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu Natal Districts. The aim of the project is to safeguard advances of TB treatment by strengthening the TB health care platform in the district. The Enrolled Nurses will be based in KwaZulu-Natal Province (eThekwini, uMgungundlovu, and uMkhanyakude) and report to the THINK Professional Nurse Mentor-TB.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Support to DOH TB facility staff
- Adherence Counselling in identified patients who require enhanced adherence counselling
- TB Screening and integrated COVID/ TB screening support
- Support of TPT implementation
- Make sure that all initiated patients have been captured on Tier.net or EDRWeb
- Request files for patients with no outcomes, audit them and ask the Data Clerks to update outcomes on TIER.NET or EDRWeb
- Every month request a list of patients that needs repeat script for TPT and ensure that the treatment is continued for the prescribed duration according to guidelines.
- Make sure that all TB presumptive /diagnosed patients have been tested for HIV – if not make note to test them on their next visits.
- Screen patients for STI, TB by asking the 4 screening questions and refer patients accordingly
- Work with the TB team to improve the quality of care, retention in care and adherence to treatment for TB patients.
- Perform other related duties as required for effective implementation of the USAID Project
- Grade 12 - Matric Certificate
- Enrolled Nurse Certificate with current SANC registration
- Counselling Certificate
- 2 years’ experience working in HIV/TB environment
- Valid Driver’s Licence
- Other Health related courses (advantageous)
- A good understanding of referral systems and pathways as well as linkage and retention in care strategies
- Computer literacy is essential
- Clear criminal record
- Previous work experience in NGOs or funded programmes will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of HIV strategies, including the UNAIDS 95-95-95 targets, and TB management.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online portal found at: