THINK TB & HIV Investigative Network
Position: Enrolled Nurse Assistants
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Contract
Start Date: 1st March 2021
Location: KwaZulu-Natal Province (eThekwini, uMgungundlovu, and uMkhanyakude)
Application Closing Date: 20th January 2021
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for qualified Enrolled Nurse Assistants to support the implementation of the THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu Natal Districts. The aim of the project is to safeguard advances of TB treatment by strengthening the TB health care platform in the district. The Enrolled Nurse Assistants will be based in KwaZulu-Natal Province (eThekwini, uMgungundlovu, and uMkhanyakude) and report to the THINK Professional Nurse Mentor-TB.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Increase and create demand for facility -based TB screening and testing services during checking of vital signs.
- Ensure that all clients tested TB positive are linked for treatment initiation; and are captured into TIER.net or EDRWeb
- Work hand in hand with TB facility health care workers in linking clients who have tested positive for TB.
- Review TB registers, EDRWeb and TIER.NET to check on those initiated into treatment, ensuring that they receive follow up-services.
- Compile a list of those not yet initiated, with their contact details for follow-up and referrals to WBOTS and relevant NGOs.
- Facilitate increase in TB preventative treatment (TPT) for all eligible clients including children under 5
- Identify and link patients eligible for psychosocial support.
- Conduct health education to clients on TB and HIV treatment adherence, cough etiquette, monitoring and treatment side effects.
- Implement approved interventions to bring those lost to follow-up back into care.
- Provide health education to patients on TB, TB screening, TB/HIV co-infections, infection control, adherence and other services to facilitate referrals.
- Work with the TB team to improve the quality of care, retention in care and adherence to treatment for TB patients.
- Perform other related duties as required for effective implementation of the USAID Project
- Grade 12- Matric Certificate
- Certificate in Enrolled Nurse Auxiliary registered with SANC
- Must have the knowledge of TB & HIV screening and testing services; tracing and linkage coupled with basic TB, HIV and adherence
- A minimum of 1 year working experience within a similar environment or any clinical setting
- Experience in working with outreach teams & providing health education
- A good understanding of referral systems and pathways as well as linkage and retention in care strategies
- Community TB screening will be an advantage
- Computer literacy is essential
- Clear criminal record
- Previous work experience in NGOs or funded programmes will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of HIV strategies, including the UNAIDS 95-95-95 targets, and TB management.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within 4 weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Applications are only accepted if received via the online portal found at: