Lily of the Valley Children's Village
Lily of the Valley provides holistic care for children and youth who have been marginalised through HIV and AIDS and a broken society.
Lily of the Valley Children's Village seeks to appoint a Social Worker to be based in Durban.
To work purposefully within the child care team towards meeting the developmental and therapeutic needs of each child and his/her family, with the goal being to reunify young people with family and/or community in the shortest time possible.
The social worker manages the case, providing the psycho-social assessment and therapeutic counselling required, guiding the child care team and liaising with the placing agency.
Line of Authority:
- Accountable to the Management Committee.
- Directly accountable to the General Manager.
- Accountable to the child care team for the rendering of professional services.
Standards of Perfomance:
- The Children’s Act, regulations and norms and standards as related to child and youth care centres.
- National Policy as it relates to the field of Child and Youth Care.
- Policy and procedures as they relate to the Durban Child and Youth Care Centre.
- Relevant trends in the field of Child and Family Welfare.
Controls and Measures of perfomance:
- Authorized Consultation
- Annual Appraisal
Please note that this job description is dynamic. It will constantly change to meet the needs of the programme.
- Services to young people and families
- Develop IDP’s
- Receive and screen applications for admission
- Lead the admissions process
- Provide young people with individual counselling
- Provide trauma counselling and debriefing as required
- Facilitate identified therapeutic group work
- Design and implement protective behaviours group discussions
- Facilitate adoption processes
- Monitor the orientation and disengagement processes of young people
- Provide effective aftercare services once young people have left the programme
- Coordinate weekend and holiday placements
- Facilitate weekly case discussions with each unit
- Screen applications for hosting and foster care and refer where necessary
- Ensure that every young person admitted has a valid care plan
- Coordinate the developmental assessment process by establishing and maintaining clear expectations from the child care team
- Coordinate and lead regular case reviews
- Gather the information required and develop an Individual Developmental Plan for each young person, making the necessary adjustments after each case review
- Guide and monitor the child care team’s implementation of the young person’s Individual Developmental Plan
- Ensure full participation by the young person and family in the assessment process and subsequent review processes
Liaise with other service providers:
- Liaise directly with the agency social worker on all matters relating to the young person and family
- Liaise with schools on critical issues which may jeopardise the young person’s education
- Share information gathered from the agency social worker on the present circumstances of the family with the child care team
- Make referrals for host/foster care placements
- Make referrals for specific assessment/therapy as identified by the developmental process
- Monitor progress in terms of referral for therapeutic interventions, sourcing feedback reports and using this feedback to inform the Individual Development Plan
- Secure services required by the young person in terms of holistic development
Liaise with families of young people:
- Ensure that families participate where possible in all decisions which affect their child
- Provide family with information on the young person’s participation within the programme
- Facilitate family group conferencing when required
- Conduct home visits as required
- Ensure that the Department of Social Development requirements for subsidy claims are submitted timeously
- Ensure that the Department of Social Development requirements for compliance are submitted timeously
- Complete all statutory reports timeously
- Attend all official meetings called by the Department
- Create and maintain an individual personal file for all young people as required by the Department
- Keep all registers related to the child care programme as required
- Prepare a monthly report for the Management Committee on services provided to young people
- Ensure that the Rights of Children and family are upheld by the programme at all times
- Investigate any allegation of use of prohibited behaviour measures
- Report incidents of any use of prohibited behaviour measure to the General Manager
- Report any reportable incident to the General Manager
- Prepare reports on all critical incidents as required
- Keep recordings of all interventions with young people
- Keep minutes of all meetings with the child care team
Supervision of student social work placements:
- Develop and maintain formal agreements with educational institutions referring social work students for practical placement
- Inform the team of the requirements of the student social workers placement and their role in the monitoring and evaluation of the placement
- Design and implement an orientation programme for social work students
- Provide social work students with regular supervision
- Provide the placing educational institution with progress reports on the students as set out in the formal agreement
- Facilitate the evaluation of the student social workers practical placement
- Together with the child care team identify areas within the programme which require support from volunteers
- Screen all applications for volunteering, including; interviewing, reference checking and clearance
- Provide orientation to prospective volunteers
- Maintain relationship with volunteers
- Coordinate an annual event/activity to thank volunteers for their service
- Maintain volunteer records and keep updated
- Social Work Degree
Please direct applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Lily of the Valley Children’s Village, refer to lov.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies