The Cape Innovation & Technology Initiative is a Non-Profit Company (NPC) with a mission to build a future-proof, inclusive society through technology and innovation. CapaCiTi Tech Career Accelerator is the skills development division of CiTi. CapaCiTi’ s vision is to enable inclusive growth of the digital economy by ensuring a supply pipeline of future fit skilled employees with relevant technical skills matched to industry demand. We do this through innovative training and experiential learning programmes that focus on both technical and professional development.
CapaCiTi seeks to appoint a Curriculum Mentor to be based in Johannesburg.
CapaCiTi offers a holistic training programme that focusses on 3 key areas: Digital skills, Career Critical Skills, Job Critical Skills. We have campuses in Cape Town and Johannesburg and can accommodate 350 students at any one time. CapaCiTi programmes create job opportunities for unemployed and previously disadvantaged youth by providing them with the relevant technical and professional development through blended learning programmes on site at our campuses. We train 1000 youth a year across a range of courses including Broad Based Digital Skills, Python Programming, Java Programming, Systems Development and other bespoke programmes.
The purpose of the job is to Drives the Digital and Career Development of candidates through correct use of a blended learning approach (online learning platform and experiential learning interventions), providing multiple opportunities for application, practice and reiteration, to ensure candidates go from being unemployed to becoming employable.
- Collaborate with multiples teams at project launch in order to design and implement a plan for the cohort prior to start
- Assist recruitment team with candidate interviews for selection onto the programme, signing off the final selection together with the Candidate Manager
- Ensure that the candidates undertake their technical training in a measured and focused manner that builds their experience step by step by acting as their Technical Team Leader
- Improve the candidate awareness and application of transferable professional skills
- Encourage professional behaviours and technical skills development by challenging and/or encouraging candidates and feedback, reiteration and modelling of required behaviours
- Monitor candidate progression, investment and involvement to facilitate adaptive and personalised coaching and mentorship strategies
- Encourage holistic candidate development through focused technical, communication and career critical skills facilitation
- Assist candidates in developing an understanding of the technical workplace and build confidence in their own ability to succeed in a technical job
- Identify and enhance the best in the candidates.
- Ask leading questions, offer relevant stories, and encourages the candidate to self-discover and practice new behaviors
- Reinforces positive attitudes and habits in the candidate
- Ensure candidates are fully aware of the criteria and performance standards by which their learning will be evaluated
- Undertake weekly evaluation of the candidate’s progression by way of the scorecard
- Ensure candidates frequently assess and monitor the quality of their own work
- Provide timely and high-quality feedback to candidates
- Liaise closely with the Placement team to ensure candidates are technically matched to opportunities with host organisations
- Any other ad hoc duties assigned by management and or leadership
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- NQF level 6 or higher qualification in ICT related field
- Education related certification and training advantageous
- MICT SETA registered assessor/moderator advantageous
- 3 + years ICT sector or educational practitioner experience
- Experience with planning and organization of complex work
- Able to create detailed delivery plans
- Experience in monitoring and recording successes and provide constructive feedback to team members/reports/other parties
- Demonstrates a passion for imparting knowledge to others
- Excellent people management skills, preferably with young adults/youth at scale (large teams, coaching others, Sports, Leadership in social groups etc)
- Experience of facilitating large groups of people preferred
- Learning/Academic curriculum experience ideal but not essential
- Experience working with unemployed youth advantageous
- Share knowledge and experiences, while being able to appreciate differing beliefs, opinions, behavioral styles and habits
- A willingness to go the extra distance for youth
- Innovative and Creative
- Solutions focused
- Ability to manage candidates firmly, fairly and effectively
- Excites candidates about the Tech Industry
- Makes the world of work in the digital economy come alive
- Enjoys helping others
- Has patience and empathy for others
- Has good interpersonal skills
Planning and organizing:
- There are jointly set goals and clear expectations between the mentor and candidate.
- All cohorts/courses have artifacts, curriculum outline and weekly delivery plans in place before launch of course
- Candidates can translate field-specific knowledge for application in varied contexts
- Candidate active engagement in modules above 80%
- 15% of candidates are engaged with additional resources
- 80% of candidates successfully complete the programme
- 75% of candidates actively using journal tools
Feedback and Evaluation:
- Candidates receive written feedback within 3 working days
- Candidate self-evaluation and mentor evaluations have less than 20% disparity at close of programme
- Bi-weekly candidate reviews are recorded on time 90% of the time
- Platform analytics are used to monitor candidate engagement and at-risk candidates are identified timeously and escalated to relevant parties
- Each active candidate receives at least 1 recorded bi-weekly one-on-one private check-in of fifteen minutes
- Candidate CV mentor comments are articulate, well-formed and representative of the individual
- Candidates are inspired about a career in Technology
- Candidates can engage enthusiastically around technology challenges/advances/innovations
- Candidates feel personally motivated by your engagement with them
Forward your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates who meet the requirements for this position will be considered.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.