Job basis: Full time contract
Level: Senior Management
Location: Johannesburg, Pretoria or Cape Town
Job description: Chief Operations Officer (COO)
Basis: Full Time
Ilifa Labantwana works to secure an equal start for all children living in South Africa through focussing on early childhood development (ECD). Our mission is to ensure that all children in South Africa are developmentally on track to begin formal schooling and to fully participate in the economy and society. We do this through partnership with government, civil society and the private sector, and focus on four priority areas: 1) data for decision-making; 2) building demand for ECD; 3) regulatory, financing & operational systems design and reforms; 4) systems, products and process innovation.
We seek an experienced professional to act as Ilifa’s Chief Operations Officer (COO) to play a lead role in our organisation. We are looking for an outstanding candidate with extensive financial management and operational experience to join us on our quest to transform the way ECD services are delivered in SA. The role reports to Executive Director and has one direct report (Financial Accountant).
As a member of the executive management team, the COO is jointly responsible for the attainment of the organization’s strategic objectives with specific accountability for operational performance. Key responsibilities will include operational planning and management, financial systems oversight, contracting and relationship management, and HR management. They will ensure that the organisation has robust operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to support our mission. This role is more than just primarily responsible for operations and finance - we are seeking an individual who is creative and entrepreneurial and also takes the initiative to propose, design and manage projects that further our mission, specifically using ideas from the alternative finance and social impact sectors.
- Oversight and management of the operations of Ilifa Labantwana to ensure the efficient management and operations of Ilifa Labantwana
- Lead and manage governance processes including reporting and accountabilities in terms of legal compliance, preparation of documentation for Board and Management Meetings
- Lead human resource management function, including staff development and staff well-being policies
- Oversight of financial management, budgeting, expenditure tracking and external/internal audits
- Corporate branding and information - Ensure a coherent and consistent corporate brand for Ilifa Labantwana, approved by all funding partners and carried across all Ilifa information platforms
- Ensure the continuing development, review and publication of information related to the work of Ilifa
- Support the leadership team to monitor progress against strategic objectives and ensure operations are aligned with these
- Support technical and programmes team with business plan and budget development
- Resource mobilisation - Establish and execute a fund-raising strategy in consultation with the Board and Executive Director
- Ensure the development and execution of key multi-funder and multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Provide leadership to formal processes of interaction with government and the private sector, and manage of these relationships
- Project management – both for internal operational projects, but also for to take on design and delivery of strategic projects to further Ilifa’s mission.
The ideal candidate:
- Post Graduate degree or MBA or CA required.
- Possesses requisite experience in HR frameworks, Financial Management, and Operations.
- A minimum of 10 years of management experience across a range of non-profit or business disciplines.
- A high level of financial management and reporting capabilities including budgeting and cash flow management.
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization.
- Demonstrated experience linking the operations of an organisation to support the delivery of the strategy
- Experience or interest in the alternative/social finance sector is a plus
- Excellent computer literacy is essential especially in MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis till January 8, 2021 with an anticipated start date in January/February 2021.
Integration Resourcing has been tasked with handling the response to this advert. Please forward a detailed CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not contact Ilifa Labantwana directly.