Bertha House Activism Hub
Employment Opportunity in Cape Town, South Africa
Bertha House is a multi-purpose facility designed to serve activists including organisers, educators, storytellers, and other changemakers working to build a more just city, country and planet. We aim to provide inclusive, stimulating, safe and exciting spaces in which a diverse range of people and groups can come together to work, organise, learn, create, and collaborate.
Located in the central Cape Town suburb of Mowbray Bertha House - presently home to the Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education - plans on growing its occupants and offerings in 2021 to include an activist cowork community, expanded events and activity spaces, a cafe, a media and storytelling lab, and a cinema.
The Bertha House project is much more than just a building. It is about growing and nurturing a vibrant community of people wanting to change the world - a place that is recognized locally and globally as a cutting-edge hub for collaboration and innovation in activism.
In Bertha House we also aim to build an alternative model of how workspaces are managed where membership and access is not based on exclusive fees, but rather a practiced commitment to justice, community, reciprocity, cooperation, and mutual aid.
The Bertha House Director will be in charge of implementing this vision working very closely with Bertha Foundation’s Global Spaces team. As this is a new initiative, we are looking for a strong leader who can shape and implement strategy, create collaborative work environments, build organisational culture, lead teams, and actively recruit and support users of the space.
- Development and implementation of the vision and strategy for Bertha House in partnership with Bertha Foundation’s Global Spaces team and other key partners;
- Day-to-day management of Bertha House operations and activities with support from a Finance and Operations Manager, a Programmes Manager, other staff and partners;
- Proactive recruitment of new individuals and organisations to ensure maximum utilisation of space including the cowork community space and events and activity spaces (minimum target of 75% occupancy/use in the first year of operations);
- Managing community relations with all members and partners including the development of regular programming through an inclusive and collaborative process;
- Representing Bertha House in various forums to communicate project objectives, communal work, and recruit new partners;
- Working closely with Bertha Foundation to build working connections between Bertha House and other Bertha spaces in South Africa and globally.
Experience & Requirements
- A minimum of 10 years experience working with activists, social movements, NGOs, and other actors working to advance social justice and human rights;
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a senior management position with a proven track record in leading and managing people and teams, finances and material resources;
- A relevant graduate-level degree;
- Experience in building and maintaining networks locally, regionally and globally;
- Experience in designing, managing and sustaining collaborative decision-making processes;
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Speaking more than one South African language preferable.
How To Apply
Bertha is offering a full-time permanent contract (subject to funding availability) with a 6-month probation period. Compensation is commensurate with experience. We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by close of business on Monday 14 December 2020 with the following information:
- A short CV/resume;
- A short motivation letter (no longer than one typed page) describing why you are interested in the project and qualified for the position;
- A list of three referees with their contact information.
For more information about Bertha Foundation visit www.berthafoundation.org.