mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Communications Intern – Cape Town
mothers2mothers (m2m) is an organisation that unlocks the power of women to eliminate childhood AIDS and create healthy families. m2m trains and employs women living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa as “Mentor Mothers”. Through their training and employment, they become role models who help women and families at health facilities and in their communities access essential services and medical care, start on any treatment they need, and continue with their health journey.
m2m is looking for an inspired, passionate, hardworking, and ambitious Communications Intern. The purpose of the role is to support the Communications team in achieving its strategic goals for 2021, which include planning and executing a successful celebration of m2m’s 20th anniversary, and helping the organisation improve its internal communications. This internship offers an exciting, in-depth immersion in a range of communications activities.
Key Performance Areas
- Assist with website maintenance, including writing up latest news articles, photos and videos;
- Assist in collecting content for social media; and
- Play a role in department analytics collect and analyse data on department performance and suggest spaces for improvement.
- Assist in co-ordinating media interviews with m2m spokeswomen.
- Support m2m’s external 20-year anniversary campaign and activities;
Internal communication/knowledge management
- Support m2m’s internal 20-year anniversary campaign and activities;
- Support the entire Communications Department with all ad-hoc internal communication requests;
- Act as Internal Liaison for Communications Department to obtain and update information;
- Work closely with other departments to fulfil all internal communication needs; such as advising and distributing communications materials;
- Assist the country communications unit to-ordinate content development to produce internal weekly newsletter;
- Develop evergreen content for internal newsletter;
Partner with Communications Assistant to provide ongoing administrative duties to the South Africa communications team (Invoice payment/travel requests etc);
Qualifications and Experience:
- Matric/Grade 12
- Diploma or degree in marketing, journalism, communications or similar field.
- While we will consider applications from new graduates, those with at least some relevant professional experience will be prioritised.
- Excellent computer skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (especially PPT and Word).
- Committed team player with ability to foster strong working relations in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to liaise on all levels
- Exceptional organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work to tight deadlines within a pressurised environment
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and verbal)
- Understanding and patience when working closely with colleagues from other cultures with various languages.
- Compassion, respect, and understanding of the work that m2m does.
- A team player who is highly adaptive, works well under time pressure, and has a sense of humour.
- Skills or experience in digital marketing and content management, using tools such as Wordpress, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Social Media Channels.
- Skills or experiences in employee engagement and internal communications.
- Preference will be given to Employment Equity candidates
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://m2m.org/who-we-are/careers/ by 06 December 2020.