mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Senior Project Manager
The Senior Project Manager manages and provides oversight of all departmental (DPTS) projects. S/he will be responsible for day-to-day project management, stakeholder management, donor reporting, monitoring of project spend, and activity implementation. This position will also support meetings with possible donors, engagement in technical design, proposal development, and intelligence gathering. S/he will work closely with the DPTS unit leads and country teams to manage project expectations, and share lessons learned, best practices, and project updates across the organisation. The position is based in the m2m Head Office in Cape Town.
Key Performance Areas
Manage DPTS Projects
- Lead project planning, implementation, including framework development and consultations; rollout, training, and supervision; monitoring and evaluation and documentation of lessons learned
- Produce project deliverables.
- Manage project plans and budget to ensure activities are carried out on time and within budget.
- Lead engagement with m2m DPTS for project and technical support.
- Lead quality assurance and quality improvement for projects.
- Engage and manage technical consultants as necessary to carry out project activities.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of m2m’s annual program plan including goal-setting and work-planning for program improvement.
- Provide program implementation guidance and support where needed to the HO and Country service delivery teams in order to achieve quality targeted results.
- Lead the adaptation and implementation of program/intervention/innovation frameworks and activities with clearly defined objectives, outcomes and roles and responsibilities.
- Prepare and submit regular reports that describe project progress and achievements.
- Work closely with the Strategic Information unit to initiate site service quality assessments and other program quality improvement processes to maintain the provision of high quality services.
- Coordinate data use for program decision making.
- Periodically travel to m2m sites to support implementation and QA/QI processes.
- Contribute to internal working groups and sharing of inter- and intra-country learnings.
- Provide input into and support preparations for high-level site visits in Country hubs.
- Maintain and grow stakeholder relationships, including representation of m2m in key strategic forums and technical working groups.
- Provide intelligence for business development planning (including Country Business Plans and other capture planning).
- Advise on technical design of programmes for new business opportunities.
- Support proposal writing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public health, nursing sciences, public health, social sciences or related field preferable
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the field of public health and/or NGO sector including at least 3 years in program management at senior level
- Project Management qualification and at least 3 years in project management at a senior level
- Demonstrated experience in RMNCH, PMTCT, HIV/AIDS, and/or nutrition program management the regional or national level
- Demonstrated experience working with MOH, UNICEF, CDC, USAID, and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience working with government at all levels (national, provincial, district)
- Experience working with donors and other government and foundation donors
- Excellent ability in providing day to day project management support, and proven in-depth knowledge of in health programming, with specific experience in reproductive, maternal and child health, HIV and AIDS, and adolescent programmes, NCD and other interventions. Extensive knowledge of health system in Southern Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and writing project plans, reports, and other deliverables.
- Demonstrated experience leading a technical activity, through evidence and data driven decision-making and using M&E data for programme improvement, and serving in technical advisory roles
- Demonstrated experience in stakeholder management
- Strong experience in managing project scope creep
- Strong design and conceptualisation skills able to think creatively and; systematically at all project levels.
- Experience in monitoring project plans and budgets.
- Experience in quality assurance and quality improvement.
- Ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines independently with sound decision making.
- Ability to work with staff based in multiple locations, and supervise external consultants.
- Strong experience building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Self-starter, team player and results-oriented.
- Strong strategic, analytical, negotiation and advocacy skills.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to effectively engage participants of different cultures and backgrounds.
- Computer literacy (MS Office suite).
- Fluent in English and local language.
- Knowledge of Portuguese will be an added advantage.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://m2m.org/who-we-are/careers/ by 11 December 2020.