Development Action Group
The Development Action Group (DAG) is a leading nonprofit, non-governmental organisation. DAG’s mission is to create, implement and support community-centred developments in order to address economic, social and spatial imbalances.
DAG seeks to appoint a Project Coordinator to be based in Cape Town.
Employment Type: One-year contract with a 3-month probation period.
Start Date: As soon as possible
- With support, assist and lead in conceptualizing and implementation of programme and projects;
- Support community groups and community organisations in advancing their housing and land rights;
- Distil lessons and learnings from projects and programmes to inform organisational objectives and outcomes, including reporting back to the Programme Manager
- To work across various projects and programmes as a team member or lead, as required by the organisation
- To prepare and implement project briefs, facilitate workshops, meetings and produce related materials;
- To monitor overall progress of projects and report on progress against overall programme plans
- To manage, monitor and report on overall expenditure of projects
- To assist management in preparing funding applications, funder and board reports
- To, with support, prepare consultant’s briefs and negotiate them together with management
- To supervise and monitor the performance and payment of consultants and contractors
- To facilitate appropriate and effective planning, decision-making, communication, and problem solving within the team
- Coordinate with team members to deliver the intended project goals and objectives
- To provide facilitation, research and technical skills as necessary for the implementation of the project and programmes
- Participate in advocacy and lobby key stakeholders from both the public and civil society sectors
- To network DAG and our project partners with other key role-players including public officials and others in the private sector
- To represent DAG at various public platforms
- To prepare reports for both internal learning, broader advocacy and funders
- To prepare communication materials such as Facebook posts, twitter feed, blogs, newspaper articles etc. in consultation with the Programme Manager and Communication Officer
- Relevant degree or diploma e.g. Social sciences, Social development, Planning, Architecture, Urban Design, Adult Education, Geography, Social Anthropology etc.
- Five years’ experience in the relevant sector and field
- At least 2 years’ experience working with community groups, social movements and/ or civil society organisations living in informal settlements/ backyard structures
- Sound knowledge of training methodologies and techniques
- Sound knowledge of issues relating to the development sector as well housing and urban policy frameworks
- Conversant with key stakeholders, concepts and how they relate to the housing delivery process
- An understanding of social theory and the dominant social perspectives (world views)
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to use the MS Office suite at an intermediate level.
- Excellent time management, planning and organising skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required and knowledge of at least one other South Africa language is an added advantage
- Valid driver’s licence (own car would be an advantage)
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of three referees and a motivation letter by 16h00 on Friday, to firstname.lastname@example.org or 101 Lower Main Road, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted within one week of the closing date.
DAG pursues employment equity and will give preference to female, black and disabled candidates.
For more about the Development Action Group, refer to www.dag.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies