Graca Machel Trust
The Graça Machel Trust works across the continent on three issues: women’s rights, children’s rights, and governance and leadership. We catalyze action, support local initiatives, lend solidarity, and offer support where it is needed. We work through networks and collaborations, and incubate and create new initiatives where there are gaps.
Our mission is to amplify women’s movements, influence governance, and promote women’s contributions and leadership in the economic, social, and political development of Africa; and advocate for the protection of children’s rights and dignity.
The Graça Machel Trust seeks to appoint a Business Development Officer to be based in Sandton.
The purpose of the Business Development Support Officer leads and supports proposal and business development efforts for GMT; s/he is experienced in developing proposals and has a good grasp of the different requirements and needs for contract or cooperative agreement mechanisms. S/he establishes and ensures adherence to all proposal policies, procedures, and timelines to develop a submission that is technically sound, responsive, compliant, and of the highest quality. The BDSO is also involved in preparatory efforts for bid pursuits, including providing guidance on or participating in pre-bid intelligence gathering efforts. The incumbent will support in capture, live bid support, section writing support, BD admin support, stakeholder engagement, donor relations and BD related processed and procedures.
Report to:Business Development Manager
Salary:is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Support in drafting, editing and alignment of proposals for unit support
- Strategic planning, implementation, and management of funding opportunities
- Develop partnerships and maintain relationships with donors and other stakeholders, including the private sector
- Support in implementing sustainable funding strategies
- Proactive new business approaches
- Lead fundraising campaigns and events
- Collaborate with other organisations within the community to build partnerships and enhance funding opportunities
- Assist with internal administration
- Gather, collate, and synthesise data and information from GMT Programme stakeholders to create effective databases
- Helps develop win themes, strategies, and design approaches.
- Contributes to partnering decisions and negotiations.
- Assists in maintaining relationships with sponsors, governmental agencies, universities, multinational, and other non-governmental organizations.
- Provides updates on assigned proposals for accurate system tracking.
- Develop high-quality reports and supporting documentation in line with donor criteria
- Be prepared and willing to perform tasks outside the given job description when asked from time to time
- At least 6 years’ experience in Business Development and proposal management within the NPO/NGO sector. Experience in Child Rights, civil society and governance, women economic growth, or Nutrition programming preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant sector and work experience in the international development field will be preferred.
- Three (3) years of proposal development experience for USAID solicitations; experience with other U.S. Government (USG) agencies and/or non-USG donors, a plus.
- Well-developed emotional intelligence
- Proven experience working with local and international NGOs and donors
- The ability to write clear, compelling reports (exceptional verbal and written communication skills (English)
- The ability to collate and synthesise complex technical information from disparate sources/stakeholders to provide timely and impactful reports, which requires an ability to build relationships with staff from diverse stakeholder groups.
- Basic understanding of data analysis and interpretation
- Keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Skilled in creating and working on databases, spreadsheets, trackers and excel documents.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and changing environment and honour deadlines
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Reputation as a critical and strategic thought-partner, with a demonstrated ability to identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities from disparate sets of information and provide clear conclusions and guidance.
- Demonstrated skills in coalescing teams and teamwork and in building consensus.
- Demonstrated skills in meeting facilitation
- Experience in program design approaches and methodologies, such as results frameworks, theories of change, logic modelling, and/or logical frameworks.
- Experience in writing, reviewing, and analysing technical proposals.
- Strong knowledge of the competitive market within GMTs technical areas.
- Competent in using MS software, including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams SharePoint, and Salesforce
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Please submit a CV (maximum 3 pages) with references and 1 page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Late Applications and candidates who do not comply with the above requirements will automatically be disqualified. GMT reserves the right not fill the position. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you do not hear from us within one month of the closing date please consider your application as unsuccessful
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.