More than twenty years after democracy, high performing schools in South Africa’s previous disadvantaged communities are the exception. Our aim is to change this landscape and support no-fee public schools in their journey to become excellent and provide the highest quality education to the most underserved communities.
At Acorn Education, we aim to transform the lives of our learners and we do whatever it takes to make this dream a reality.
Acorn Education seeks to appoint the Career Counsellor to be based in Eerste River, Cape Town.
The precise areas of responsibility for this post will be agreed based around your skills and the needs of the school, but it is anticipated that you will be able to:
- Develop a post-school placement strategy: creating career plans and placement opportunities based on individual learner profiles and consultations
- Evaluate learners’ abilities and interests through aptitude and other relevant assessments, and consultations
- Guide grade 9 learners in their selection of subjects for the FET phase
- Regularly host learner and parent workshops to provide guidance and information to learners about possible pathways available post matric or prepare learners for job interviews etc.
- Develop relationships with professional firms and places of work to enable learners to access job shadowing and internship opportunities
- Develop relationships and build partnerships with tertiary institutions such as TVET colleges and universities
- Work closely with teachers and parents to support learners
- Develop a mentor and post-school support programme to support alumni learners
Identify local (and regional):
learnership and apprenticeship opportunities; and
opportunities for further tertiary studies, including access to funding support (through bursary or sponsorship programmes) and NQF bridging possibilities
- Fluent in English and Afrikaans, with excellent listening skills and speaking skills
- SA driver’s license (code 8) and own vehicle essential
- Must be a South African national or possess a permanent resident permit
- At least five years’ professional experience in career counselling of students or learners
- No criminal record- candidates will be required to undergo a criminal background check
- Proven ability to work with people who are dealing with stressful and difficult situations
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work with different personality types, and to facilitate meaningful connections with teenagers
- Knowledge of counselling techniques, as well as various methods of psychometric testing for the learners
- Solid relationships with a range of employers and tertiary institutions
Knowledge of scarce skills and in-demand careers and further education sector, including:
government structures, policies and plans (especially in terms of employment and skills development incentives and programmes), and
qualifications offered through South Africa’s full spectrum of institutions of further learning
Education and experience profile:
- Tertiary qualification in counselling or related field with a focus on youth career counselling
- At least 3 years’ experience in counselling or recruitment, with a proven track record in testing and job placements for school leavers
- Previous experience in youth development or working with young people an added advantage
- Previous experience in working as a career counselor highly beneficial
- Self-starter, able to work independently and as part of a close-knit team
- Energised by assisting, serving, counselling, or mentoring young people
- Compassionate, patient and empathetic
- Committed to making a difference through education and youth development
- Well-groomed, highly organised, self-motivated and displays highly ethical and professional behaviour at all times
To apply please submit an updated CV with references and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject title of the email application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Acorn Education, refer to http://acorneducation.org.za/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies