Population Services International (PSI)
Based in 36 Glenhove Road, Melrose Estate, Johannesburg, 2196
Up to90% HQ staff and 10% field interaction
Report to: Head of People
Work week: 37,5 hours per week
Who we are:
With 50 years of experience, working in over 60 countries Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organisation. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the centre, and wherever possible bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare. There are over 6,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for an experienced-dynamic individual for the position of People Officer which will be far from one-dimensional. You will undertake a wide range of activities amongst which you shall be responsible for ensuring the effectiveness of the hiring process, training needs and skills assessment, undertaking employee training and monitoring staff performance including the implementation employee wellness and motivation initiatives. Important to this function is your ability to creatively aid management to communicate and entrench the organisations culture and value system across all levels including driving policy adherence. Further your professionalism, confidentiality, and inherent ability to safeguard of individual and organisational information (POPIA) will be essential.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Support the development and implementation of HR systems (policies and procedures including the creation and implementation of effective onboarding processes.
- Maintain accurate employee records according to policy and legal requirements including POPIA [Human Resource Information System (HRIS)]
- Be actively involved in recruitment by preparing job descriptions, posting job vacancies, screening, interviewing, background check , contacting references and managing the hiring process of qualified candidates and placement of workers,
- Develop training and development programs by identifying training needs, organising staff training sessions and activities,
- Assist in performance management processes by implementing, monitoring staff performance system and performance appraisals,
- Support the management with disciplinary and grievance issues,
- Facilitation of disciplinary process, legal matters, and CCMA cases,
- Facilitation of employee relations and resolving human resource issues on behalf of the company,
- Review employment and working conditions to ensure legal compliance,
- Review employment and working conditions to ensure legal compliance when recruiting, training, and developing staff
- Co-ordinating the timesheets of staff,
- Payroll processing and payroll query resolution,
- Responsible for Leave Management system to ensure accuracy of leave days and to reduce payroll processing errors,
- Coordinate and monitor employee benefits with the identified service providers.
- Looking after the health, safety, and welfare of all employees,
- Advising line managers and other employees on legislations and or statutory requirements relating to recruitment and employment including key organisational policies and procedures,
- Negotiating salaries, contracts, working conditions or retrenchment packages with staff and representatives,
- Work with relevant teams to ensure adherence to all health and safety rules and regulations, standards, policies, and procedures in compliance with OHS Act 85 of 1993
- Be custodian of key statutory and funder requirements i.e. EE, Skills Development etc.
- Support organisational Audit activities.
- Manage any other online systems relevant to the People department ensuring all activities and information comply with statutory and donor requirements.
- Assist with developing systems and processes to support intern and volunteer initiatives within the organisation.
What we are looking for?
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree level qualification in Human Resources
- Over 3 years proven work experience in a senior role within a Human Resource division or similar role.
- Hands-on experience and certification with HRIS and payroll systems
- Excellent communication abilities
- Recruitment and selection
- Ability to foster healthy employee relations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and verbal formats, including presentations, demonstrated capability to develop strong interpersonal working relationships and work in a team environment.
- Literacy and numeracy skills highly important.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy.
- Understanding of labour legislation
- CCMA experience
- Familiar with donor (USG and non-USG) rules and regulations
- Human Resources statutory requirements
What would get us excited?
You must have a core foundation in the many functions of Human Resources. An ongoing requirement is that you must be able to deal with the dynamics of daily challenges that arise. You may have to resolve something as simple as an employee being paid the wrong rate of pay or it could be a much more sensitive issue such as a pending sexual harassment investigation being conducted. Whether the issue is something simple or more complex, a good Human Resources professional must have the capacity to contain these types of issues, calmly and fairly. Knowledge and expertise in Human resources; understanding the legal framework in which the HR professional functions, excellent communication, time management, self-discipline; being trustworthy; impartial and objective will get us excited in considering you as a potential candidate. Even more, we are looking for individuals who meet the values of PSI by being honest, trustworthy, committed, who collaborates and produces quality measurable outputs as well as displaying pragmatism!
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills and see the bigger picture in staffing activities and performance and their impact to the overall financial bottom line.
- High degree of diligence, ethics, honesty, and integrity.
- Excellent communication skills, able to build rrelationships and manage conflict effectively
- Must be client and service orientated, focused and results driven.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in a professional manner,
- A team player willing to help and work with others .
- Works well under pressure,
- Able to work within a fast-paced environment is flexible with an ability to multi-task.
- Able to manage time and resources well and demonstrates good organizational abilities.
- Able to prioritize important matters and act on them accordingly.
How to apply:
Please send your full application, CV and max one-page motivation, to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 10 November. All application submissions will be reviewed and considered, only suitably qualified candidates will be short listed and contacted for interviews.
Applicants will be required to participate in a practical exercise as part of the interview process.
PSI, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, disabled or employment status.