YearBeyond Academic Project Manager
The Community Chest, in partnership with the Western Cape Government, seeks to accelerate opportunities for 18 to 25 year-old youth growing up in poverty through closing the opportunity gap between these young people and their resourced peers. This is achieved through the Western Cape Government’s flagship youth programme, YearBeyond. We are looking for a passionate, professional and ambitious project manager to manage YearBeyond Academic Programme.
About YearBeyond Academic Project
YearBeyond works with 18 to 25 year-old youth. The programme provides youth with a meaningful 10-month work experience opportunity, while also engaging in a journey of self-discovery and professional development. The aim of the programme is to provide a bridge into the world of work and study for youth with a matric who are NEETS.
YearBeyond Academic Programme places youth in low- and no-fee schools, where they act as teacher assistants during the day and provide literacy and numeracy after school programmes to learners in grade 3 and 4.
The programme is expanding and, in 2021, will place 500 youth in about 100 primary schools in the Province. This is achieved through collaborative partnerships with NGO’s working in these communities.
Additional information can be found online at www.yearbeyond.org or on the YearBeyond Facebook page.
Position available: YearBeyond Academic Project Manager
To manage the Western Cape Government and Community Chest YearBeyond Academic Project, including managing the programme design, programme implementation, partners and staff.
Head: Youth Service and After School
To continuously review the programme design and curriculum, based on implementation feedback and lessons, to ensure a quality programme for both the youth and the learners.
To identify, build and manage YearBeyond partnership model and the network of NGO partners that sign up to implement the programme.
To manage the YearBeyond Academic Programme Implementation including:
- Developing systems and training to ensure quality programme implementation at scale.
- Managing, building and maintaining relationships with the various partners.
- Providing ongoing support to programme mentors who manage the youth programme delivery for the implementing partners.
- Meeting with partners on a monthly basis to monitor progress and feedback on reports submitted.
- Identifying and flagging potential problematic areas of concern with the Head of the WCG After School and Youth Service Unit.
- Effectively managing multiple concurrent workstreams.
- Managing the YearBeyond finances, including final review and approval of stipends to the youth, drafting budgets and signing off on procurement.
- Monitoring the impact of the programme and commissioning regular impact studies to advocate for the growth of the Western Cape Youth Programme.
- Hosting learning events with partners and service providers.
- Capturing case studies recording best practices.
- Translating the lessons into useful tools and manuals as part of building a programme franchise model.
- Tracking lessons learnt for the broader Youth Service Programme and flagging these with the Manager of the Youth Service team.
- Drafting policies and procedures to ensure consistent implementation and good governance.
Securing resources to support post-programme placement
Mobilising government and donor resources to support the programme.
Relevant post-graduate qualification, 5 years
Excellent people and partnership skills:
- The incumbent will need to engage effectively with a wide variety of audiences including national and provincial government, donors, NGOs and educational institutions (Universities, colleges, etc.). The successful candidate will need to have demonstrated leadership capabilities outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, and the maturity and judgment to effectively manage the project and partners.
- management experience, education expertise and a valid driver’s license.
- Adaptive and flexible problem solver
- The ability to think strategically and innovatively using strong analytical and design skills to address complex problems, and then effectively influence a wide cross-section of people along with a willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done. This multi-tasking position seeks a candidate that is results- and bottom-line oriented. The successful candidate would need to possess a comfort level for data and technology to inform programme strategy and execution.
- Large scale project management experience
- Project design and sophisticated management skills at a senior management level. Strong negotiation skills along with advanced project management, data and administrative skills.
Outstanding communication skills
- Able to quickly and concisely communicate complex ideas, and advocate for them in engaging ways with a diverse range of people.
- Excellent networks and knowledge of primary school education and an ability to provide leadership and direction to academic partners and work closely with them to align thinking and strategy with the YearBeyond intervention in literacy and numeracy.
Please send a CV including contact details of referees with a covering letter focusing directly on the requirements to Jacqui Boulle via emails addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Friday 30 October 2020.
All posts will be based in the YearBeyond Cape Town office, will be contract appointments and will require travel within the Western Cape.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information please click on the link below: