Education development Center (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC), with funding from USAID, is implementing the South Africa School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity (Activity) that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) National Policy on HIV, STIs and TB provides the framework for prevention, treatment, care and support of all learners, educators, school support staff and officials in the basic education sector, in all public and independent primary and secondary schools in the Republic of South Africa. Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) and the provision of Care Services are strategies included in the policy to realise a systematic and sustained response to HIV and TB. These strategies align to and present the sector’s contribution towards the National Strategic Plan (NSP) on HIV, TB and STIs for South Africa, 2017-2022.
EDC is seeking to hire DREAMS District Managers (DDMs) to work in the additional districts in the following provinces:
|Province||District/Sub-District||# of DDMs|
|Gauteng||City of Johannesburg||4|
|Eastern Cape||Alfred Nzo||1|
|Eastern Cape||Buffalo City||1|
The DREAMS District Manager (DDM) will provide capacity development and support to the CSE school-based programme in the DREAMS districts. The DDM will advocate for the teaching of CSE through Scripted Lesson Plans (SLPs) in line with the DBE HIV Policy, National Strategic Plan and LO and Life Skills teaching plan. S/he will directly provide training to educators, departmental heads, senior management teams, school governing bodies and district education officials who will be implementing the Sexuality Education Activity in the districts and at school level. The incumbent is also responsible for the development and implementation of a mentoring and support plan for educators trained on the scripted lesson plans. The DDM is expected to compile training, support reports and implementation reports demonstrating progress on the Activity, challenges experienced and mitigation strategies. The DDM will be part of a team of EDC staff, Educators and Education Officials rolling out high-quality Sexuality and HIV prevention training in schools.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
The DDM is expected to articulate clearly and courteously with officials at the provincial and district offices of the Department of Education (DoE). S/he should be able to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, partners, co-workers, and funders. The job requires adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
Training and Mentorship
- Works with the EDC technical team to:
- Develop and implement a training plan on CSE SLPs for the educational district in which s/he is working. This includes educators, departmental heads, school governing bodies, senior management teams, education officials and parents.
- Design and implement a mentoring plan to support the educators as they implement the CSE SLPs in the classroom.
- Provide input on materials development to other EDC staff as needed, for example: teacher manual development, supplemental materials and interactive audio or video materials (for training and/or instruction).
- Compile and submit all required training documentation to the Training Coordinator for logistic purposes.
Layering and linkages
- Work with DREAMS implementation partners to host health campaigns that will bring AGYW into contact with health workers from adolescent and youth friendly clinics and social workers.
- Participate in the District Stakeholder Forum through the District Support Partner and ISHP
- Support layering and linkages through the District Stakeholder Forum and other implementing partners working within existing structures under the ISHP program in the District, ensuring referrals to appropriate support for disclosures that arise during the SLP implementation.
- Support the Linkages Manager to develop SRH layering implementation plan with DREAMS implementation partners and ISHP teams.
- Map AYFS to schools in CSE implementing districts.
- Ensure the successful linkage of AGYW to health and psychosocial services.
Data collection, Analysis and Reporting
- Record and report on training, mentoring and implementation data.
- Participate in review and interpretation of data analysis for project learning and improvement.
- Track SLP implementation targets to ensure implementation is on course.
- Compile and submit monthly progress report on activity implementation, including all training reports to the Senior Program Manager (SPM).
- Submit all attendance registers (training and meetings) to M&E team and Training Coordinator for record keeping purposes.
- Participate in Quarterly Data Quality Assessment in the district.
- Represent EDC at provincial, district, and school meetings, workshops, or other events.
- Liaise with other DREAMS implementing partners to ensure effective roll-out, tracking, and reporting on Activity events and programs.
- Build and maintain community relationships.
- Identify other potential partners and stakeholders for activity sustainability.
- Supports coordination of monitoring and evaluation activities at the provincial, district, and school level.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with provincial and district officials working in DOE, DOH and DSD.
- Work closely with other EDC project staff working in the province.
Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent with two to three years relevant experience
- Experience in training educators in sexuality and/or HIV prevention education; additional experience training health or other sector workers and/or training of communities in health and HIV prevention will be beneficial
- Knowledge of Sexuality Education
- Experience in HIV Prevention activities
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Good problem-solving ability, innovative
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to perform challenging and complex work
- Strong professional acumen and judgment
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Computer literate with experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Fluency in English required, fluency in other South African languages desired
- Valid South African driver’s licence
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
- As needed to support other Activity requirements
- Attend district and provincial review meetings
Application and contact details:
The competitive salary and currency will follow EDC’s policies for South Africa. This is not a posted position and no relocation will be provided. Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa. Preferance will be given to applicants residing in the respective district / sub-district. Interested qualified candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, 30 October 2020. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “DREAMS DISTRICT MANAGER” and the province/district in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, and competitive remuneration.