South African Men’s Action Group (SAMAG)
SAMAG: SECRETARY OF THE BOARD (VOLUNTARY)
The South African Men’s Action Group (SAMAG) is seeking a dynamic new Secretary in 2020 as the organisation successfully continues to deliver its bold plans to grow the profile of the marginalised and previously disadvantaged communities.
We are seeking a Secretary with a genuine commitment to community development, a clear understanding of the issues of the marginalised and previously disadvantage, interest in innovative and new ways of working, and the skills and experience to move the organisation forward.
Having laid the SAMAG of this strategy, we have clear plans for growing the sector, expanding our relevance and national reach, increasing our impact and influence, and strengthening our voice and policy role.
We seek someone with passion for our mission, professional expertise and networks to support the Board and to advocate SAMAG’s vision.
Potential candidates are requested to express an interest in the role by submitting their CVs and motivation letter of application through email to email@example.com.
Changing Ideas into Reality
We have a long-term mission for ourselves as a national organisation. How we behave today and things that we do, determines where we will be in the future. In support of our vision, this is our mission:
- Recruit and motivate South Africans, particularly Men and Boys and Adolescents and Young Adults to participate in programmes that are aimed at redressing Gender Imbalances; HIV, AIDS, STIs and TB (HAST); and other Societal Ills affecting our Society.
- Strengthen and establish partnership with other stakeholders, which encompass Civil, Public and Private sectors.
- Inform, Educate and Communicate about Gender Issues, and ways in which men and boys can contribute in finding lasting solutions to Gender Injustices.
- Respond effectively to unequal gender norms and create a gender equal society that will reduce the scourge of GBV, HIV and TB.
This is an exciting voluntary position for someone who would like to add value to the non-profit sector.
- Take minutes at all Board Meetings.
- Receive all correspondence directed to the Board.
- Together with the Chairperson write all organizational correspondences.
- Ensure that the minutes are disseminated to all Board Members.
- Arrange meetings, circulate information and deal with correspondence as required.
- Ensure that all records are kept securely.
- Carry out additional secretarial duties for the Board as may be required from time to time.
SAMAG’s Board Chairperson (and board members) will serve the remainder of a five-year term ending in 2022 and will be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term at the SAMAG National Elective Congress in 2022. Board meetings will be held quarterly.
- Experience/Interest in the NPO sector.
- Good people skills and team player.
- High levels of integrity and honesty.
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Extensive professional experience with significant Executive Leadership accomplishments in business, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector.
- Demonstrated success as a non-profit board member or board Chairperson.
- A commitment to and understanding of SAMAG’s beneficiaries and mission preferably based on experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking.
Service on SAMAG’s board is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
To apply, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a detailed CV (including ID No)
- motivation letter
- a list of 3 referees
If you have not heard from us by 23 October 2020, you have unfortunately not been shortlisted.