South African Men’s Action Group (SAMAG)
CHAIRPERSON PERSON ADVERT_(VOLUNTARY)
The South African Men’s Action Group (SAMAG) is seeking a dynamic new Chairperson in 2020 as the organisation successfully continues to deliver its bold plans to grow the profile of the marginalised and previously disadvantaged communities.
We are seeking a Chairperson with a genuine commitment to community development, a clear understanding of the issues of the marginalised and previously disadvantage, interest in innovative and new ways of working, and the skills and experience to move the organisation forward.
The SAMAG, having just celebrated its centenary year on 12 February 2020, is now at an essential point in delivering its stratagem. Having laid the SAMAG of this strategy, we have clear plans for growing the sector, expanding our relevance and national reach, increasing our impact and influence, and strengthening our voice and policy role.
We seek someone with passion for our mission, professional expertise and networks to support the Board, Executive Director, members and staff to advocate SAMAG’s vision.
Potential candidates are requested to express an interest in the role by submitting your CV and short letter of application through email to email@example.com.
Changing Ideas into Reality
We have a long-term mission for ourselves as a national organisation. How we behave today and things that we do, determines where we will be in the future. In support of our vision, this is our mission:
- Recruit and motivate South Africans, particularly Men and Boys and Adolescents and Young Adults to participate in programmes that are aimed at redressing Gender Imbalances; HIV, AIDS, STIs and TB; and other Societal Ills affecting our Society.
- Strengthen and establish partnership with other stakeholders, which encompass Civil, Public and Private sectors.
- Inform, Educate and Communicate about Gender Issues, and ways in which men and boys can contribute in finding lasting solutions to Gender Injustices.
- Respond effectively to unequal gender norms and create a gender equal society that will reduce the scourge of GBV, HIV and TB.
As a partner to the Executive Director and other Board Members, the Board Chairperson will provide leadership to SAMAG as it transitions from a sizable organization into a sustainable national entity. The Board Chairperson will support and sustain the work of SAMAG, and provide governance leadership and strategic fundraising support. Specific responsibilities include:
LEADERSHIP, GOVERNANCE, AND OVERSIGHT
- Chair all Board Meetings.
- Being a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements SAMAG’s strategic plan.
- As a board member, approving SAMAG’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by SAMAG for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics.
- Coordinating an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Assisting the Executive Director and Nominating Committee in recruiting board members.
- Periodically consulting with other board members on their roles and helping them assess their performance.
- Planning, presiding over, and facilitating board and committee meetings; partnering with the Executive Director to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
- Ensuring SAMAG’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities SAMAG serves.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, generating substantial annual revenue and fostering SAMAG’s overall financial health.
- Personally treating SAMAG as a top philanthropic priority reflected in an annual financial gift.
- Ensuring that 100 percent of SAMAG’s board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
- Identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors, corporate, and/or SAMAG gifts.
SAMAG’s Board Chairperson (and board members) will serve the remainder of a five-year term ending in 2022 and will be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term at the SAMAG National Elective Congress in 2022. Board meetings will be held quarterly.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of SAMAG’s beneficiaries and who has a track record of board leadership. The selected Board Chairperson will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
- Experience/Interest in the NPO sector.
- Good people skills and team player.
- High levels of integrity and honesty.
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Extensive professional experience with significant Executive Leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector.
- Demonstrated success as a non-profit board member or board Chairperson.
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in major gifts to a non-profit.
- A commitment to and understanding of SAMAG’s beneficiaries and mission preferably based on experience.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of SAMAG’s beneficiaries.
Service on SAMAG’s board of directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
To apply, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a detailed CV (including ID No)
- motivation letter
- a list of 3 referees
If you have not heard from us by 23 October 2020, you have unfortunately not been shortlisted.