Save The Children
Job Title: Education Thematic Head
Occupational Level: Senior Manager
Reports to: Programme Director
Travel Requirements: Regular national and international travel
Renumeration: R58 000.00
Contract type: Permanent
CHILD SAFEGUARDING STATEMENT: Save the Children South Africa has a zero tolerance towards the abuse and exploitation of children by any of our representatives, and we are equally committed to doing everything within our power to avoid unintended harm or accidents to children as a result of any of our activities.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this role is to develop and implement an Early Child Care and Development (ECCD) strategy for the Save the Children South Africa.
The Education Thematic Head will provide overall responsibility to the implementation of the Save the Children South Africa (SCSA) education strategy and portfolio, with a specific focus on ECCD sub-theme. The Thematic Head will provide technical support (strategic & operational) in the development of the ECCD Strategy, the design of ECCD programs, implementation, the measurement, reporting and knowledge management of the ECCD sub-thematic area. The Education Thematic Head will, in accordance with the SCSA’s strategic plan, select and lead a team that will implement ECCD work in all geographical areas where relevant projects are being implementing.
The Education Thematic Head will establish and strengthen partnerships with the Department of Education, Civil Society Organisations focused on Education and ECCD, Media and all relevant organizations who work in the education/ECCD sector in South Africa. The candidate will also serve as an expert on national, regional, and international children rights policies on education and ECCD including all related guidelines which serve as framework that guides work done for children.
The Education Thematic Head will, in collaboration with the SCSA fundraising team, lead the process of generating funds for the ECCD programs through business development activities like writing concept notes, funding proposals and reporting to donors (narrative and financial). Quality improvement of projects is key to SCSA this then means the Thematic Head must be skilled on quality improvement of development interventions and be able to implement accordingly.
- To provide strategic direction & oversight on ECCD interventions: Facilitate and ensure development and completion of the ECCD strategy development, program design and annual plan.
- Monitoring of strategy implementation: 1. Contribute to the development of the ECCD Projects Results frameworks; 2. Contribute to the development of the ECCD projects Theory of Change; 3. Review, inputs and finalize ECCD Projects Baseline, Mid-line & End line assessments conducted; 4. Provides technical expertise to review ECCD project performance against the result framework and Theory of Change.
- Budget management: 1. Contributes to the costing of the ECCD strategy; 2. Support the management of the ECCD budget in line with the strategy;
- Project quality improvement: 1. develops ECCD quality benchmarks & other indicators of project improvement including related tools, pilots & finalizes these materials; 2. provides technical support to ensure ECCD interventions are of good quality; 3. Facilitates implementation of innovative interventions, including the application of relevant Common Approaches.
- CRG Project reporting: Facilitates improvement of the quality of ECCD reports; Lead the development and review of ECCD reporting templates and data tools.
- Programme knowledge management: 1. Develops and compiles ECCD project repository of documents, training materials, Advocacy materials & reports; 2. Facilitates dissemination of ECCD content through good practice stories, case studies, abstracts & papers written (nationally & Internationally);
- Business Development: 1. Support the development of ECCD concept notes; 2. Support the development of ECCD funding proposals;
- Stakeholder Management and development: 1. Establish new and essential sustainable stakeholder relationships; 2. Strengthens existing sustainable stakeholder relationships; all nationally; 3. Development of MOU's and review of existing MOUs.
BEHAVIOR AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES (Save the Children values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds colleagues accountable to deliver on their responsibilities -- giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Focused on achieving external impact for the campaign
- Clear ability to understand other people’s perspective and address reasonable concerns and needs
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Take initiatives that are beneficial to the organisation.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- We endeavour to treat everyone with respect, empathy, and compassion.
- We value passion, determination, perseverance, and the sense of urgency. We believe in adopting a realistically positive and optimistic attitude towards everything we do because this inspires others to share the same outlook.
- We believe in creating a learning organisation in which staff members commit themselves to personal growth and, in so doing, seek and share knowledge and information.
- A degree in Education with specialization in Early Childhood Care and Development
- Post graduate qualification
- Master’s Degree in ECCD an advantage
- 5-10 years’ experience in Education
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the South African children’s sector;
- Demonstrable Project Management experience at a suitable level;
- Excellent technical know-how of child rights
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, ability to inform and engage through written communication;
- Experience in planning and facilitating training;
- Strong skills in Microsoft office and project management tools e.g. excel
- Strong initiative and ability to multitask, anticipate and priorities without direct supervision.
Interested parties should submit their CV with a 1-page cover letter. Closing date for applications is the: 06th November 2020
All applications should be submitted by email to: email@example.com
Please ensure that the subject line states: EDU Thematic Lead (EDUTL01) Application
Should you not hear from us after two weeks from the closing date consider your application unsuccessful.