Muscular Dystrophy Foundation (MDF)
Muscular Dystrophy Foundation Cape Branch (MDFC) is a NGO providing services and support to persons young and old affected by MD and neuromuscular disorders.
Muscular Dystrophy Foundation Cape Branch seeks to appoint a Social Worker to be based in Goodwood.
Remuneration: R16 511.33 per month
The ppurpose of this position is to provide psycho-social support to persons affected by muscular dystrophy and neuromuscular disorders, their family members and significant others, by assisting the affected person and their families in coming to terms with the disability, educating them, participating in the process of improving the quality of their life, empowering them and facilitating access to various support services and resources. Maintain registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professionals. Keep abreast with professional developments and update knowledge in all areas of social work and skills in muscular dystrophy and neuromuscular disorders. Adhere to the code of professional ethics.
- Provide psycho-social support to persons affected by muscular dystrophy and neuromuscular disorders, their family members and significant others, by assisting the affected person, family members and significant others.
- To evaluate and recommend mechanical aids which can assist affected persons.
- To attend the Neuromuscular clinic at Red Cross Children’s Hospital on a weekly basis and Tygerberg Hospital, fortnightly.
- To facilitate group work sessions with small groups of affected persons, their family members and care givers.
- To facilitate weekly support groups in schools.
- To facilitate monthly support groups for affected adults and families.
- To facilitate monthly and quarterly parent support groups.
- To facilitate workshops to create awareness, to ensure the understanding and ongoing support for the affected person and thereby promoting the accessibility of appropriate services.
- To undertake home visits as indicated in Practice Guidelines for SSP.
- To network with the local communities, appropriate organisations governmental departments and therapists.
- To liaise, advise, educate and support professional staff regarding muscular dystrophy and neuromuscular disorders.
- To attend monthly committee meetings.
- Attend Department of Social Welfare meetings and others as recommended by the management committee.
- Monthly report back to National Office re projects.
- To complete Department of Social Development returns.
- To assist with office/work tasks as required.
- To provide supervision to Social Auxilliary Workers and give input on performance.
- Grade 12 with relevant Tertiary qualifications as a Social Worker/Counsellor Preferably minimum of 3-5years relevant experience as a Social Worker
- Registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP)
- Advanced Computer literacy
- Valid Code 8 driver’s licence and own transport essential
- Report writing and interpersonal skills
- Facilitation skills and able to work independently
- Administrative skills
- English/Afrikaans essential
- Police Clearance Certificate essential.
- Saturday work is a requirement
Please only apply if you live in Cape Town.
To apply, submit a 2 page CV and a motivational letter to Dianne de Graaf at email@example.com or fax to: 0865351387.
Enquiries: (021) 592 7306
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only applicants that fit the above-mentioned criteria will be considered. Should you not hear from us within two weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
MDFC reserves the right not to make an appointment on all short-listed candidates.
For more information about MDF, refer to www.mdsa.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies