Strategic Analytics & Management Initiatives (SAMI)
Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting & Learning (MERL)
Officer Supervisor: M&E Manager
Location: City of uMhlathuze, King Cetshwayo District Position Summary
The M&E Officer will support implementation of M&E activities, working closely with the programme team to ensure that all programme data is captured using tools and devices that have been designed for the purpose. M&E officer will be responsible for coordinating data collection and data management for the designated sites, including ensuring data quality and reporting in time to meet key donor deadlines. Under the guidance of the SR M&E Manager, the M&E officer will perform data analysis, interpretation and preparing material for data demand and use for meetings at designated sites.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring beneficiary data is captured daily
- Live tracking of captured HIV Testing Services, TB and STI screening, and PrEP initiation data on MyHope and HTS Database.
- Consolidate all work done and report to the M&E Manager on a weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Annual basis as required
- Run data-mines for captured HTS, STI & TB data from the Reporting Dashboard and conduct in-depth analysis using Excel advanced nested formulas to compile routine program performance monitoring reports and compile routinely and ad-hoc reports as requested.
- Ensure filing of all beneficiary files weekly
- Participate in the development of SOPs that will guide site-level MERL work
- Work with the MERL Manager to support and oversee partner M&E Activities
- Coordinate with SSRs M&E officers to assess the cleanliness and completeness of the uMhlathuze consortium databases, notify the relevant MERL manager, and collaborate to develop plans to address identified issues M&E Capacity Building
- Work with the MERL Manager to develop quick reference sheets on data collection processes
- Work with the MERL Manager to train SSR MERL staff on data collection tools and processes
- Train, coach and mentor data collectors/clerks and individuals from different SSRs to use the mobile & web surveys Applications to collect and submit data both offline & online.
- Conduct both desktop & on-site data validation and verification with grants Sub Recipients, checking reported data from source documents.
- Conduct routine data quality site support visits to four district Sub Recipients and develop plans to address data collection and data management gaps and challenges identified.
- Ensure that M&E Quality Standards, External Quality Assessment of AGYW beneficiary records review standards, HIV Clinical guidelines, and any other relevant standards are met.
- Proactively and consistently review progress towards set targets throughout the grant period of the AGYW program
- Implement M&E tools and SOPs and ensure that the programme team understand how to use them
- Supervising data captures and clerks to ensure that data collection is aligned with the national DHMIS policy and AGYW program Standard Operating Procedures.
- Support the M&E Manager to ensure the program reporting is aligned with the relevant government information management systems to allow data sharing and reporting
- Attend all the M&E capacity building programmes that have been organised by SAM, AFSA or any other partner organisation and cascade the knowledge and skills acquired to the programme team.
Skills and Abilities:
- Hold advanced excel skills with experience of using advanced excel formulas for both text string & numerical data collection, analysis & visualization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key processes that serve as the foundation of the TB/HIV information system
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-stress environments with sometimes long and unstructured work hours
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and manage a variety of activities concurrently
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a high profile, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively and persuasively
- Fluency in English for both oral and written communications
- Knowledge of IsiZulu is preferred
- Attention to details
- Proficient use of data collection applications
- Ability to use of analytical software such as MS Excel, ‘R’, STATA, NVivo, ATLAS.ti or any other relevant analytical software is an added advantage
- Experience in handling and unstructured datasets using MS Excel and ‘R’
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through training, coaching and mentoring
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, think analytically and take initiative in problem-solving
- Demonstrated skills in working with multi-national groups and fostering collaborative relationships across multiple organisations
- Ability to work under pressure yet deliver quality results
- A valid driver’s license Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in M&E, Information Management, Social Sciences
- Additional training in monitoring and evaluation will be an added advantage
- At least 5 (five) years’ experience in HIV and AIDS programming with three years coordinating M&E activities
- Demonstrate experience in data management and reporting systems including tool development, data capturing analysis and report writing
- Experience in working in Global Fund, PEPFAR or other HIV/TB program
- In-depth understanding of DOH, DSD or DBE M&E systems including Tier.Net Additional Advantageous Experience
- Experience with youth or AGYW programs
- Knowledge, skills training and competencies
- Demonstrate understanding of data sensitivity/data protection/confidentiality
- Good interpersonal skills, supervisory and mentorship, and training skills