Job Title: Data Mentor
Location: 2 x KZN, 3 x Eastern Cape
Employment Type: Fixed term contract
Reports to: The Strategic Information Officer
Interactive Research and Development South Africa (IRD SA NPC) is a South African Section 21 not-for-profit entity and an affiliate of Interactive Research and Development Global (IRD Global), and has fully operational offices in Johannesburg, Pretoria (Gauteng) and in Durban (KwaZulu-Natal).
Project Name: CDC-South Africa Optimizing Performance by Improving Quality (OPIQ)
Locations: Eastern Cape Province (Amathole, OR Tambo and Chris Hani Districts)
KwaZulu-Natal (EThekwini, UMgungundlovu, UThukela, and Zululand Districts)
Background: The project is in the first year of a five-year cooperative agreement with CDC-South Africa, working in KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape, with funding from the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). Interactive Research and Development South Africa (IRD SA), University of California, San Francisco- Global Health Sciences (UCSF- GHS) and HEALTHQUAL bring complementary expertise to the consortium. GHS brings expertise in data visualization, informatics, and expertise in implementation science as it relates to the harvesting and standardizing of best practices for change interventions. HEALTHQUAL provides expertise and rich experience designing and implementing improvement collaboratives, national and sub-national learning networks; QI coaching mentorship, QI coach curriculum development and adaptation; QI knowledge management; and the development of change packages. IRD SA has extensive expertise designing, leading, and implementing site level QI activities in South Africa at the district and facility level; a rich network of contacts at PEPFAR partners, DOH and other NGOs; and on the ground experience implementing public health initiatives in collaboration with national and sub-national DOH
|PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- The purpose of this job is to manage data and assist in the analysis of data and identify gaps using quality improvement techniques. Testing and spreading change ideas to close the gaps and track data over time to see improvement. Assist in development of Facility improvement plans to improve data quality gaps in facilities
- Fulfil any other duties and responsibilities as determined by management with regard to the operational and management needs of the project.
|KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS (KRA) (Maximum 5 KRA)
||% OF JOB
|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO KRA (Maximum 2 pages)
If one of the KRAs includes financial responsibilities, then explain the nature and extent below.
|1. Quality Improvement
- Coach and mentor the Facility teams including data team, Facility Information teams to conduct QI interventions towards improving target indicators and improve quality of data and reporting.
- Identify and close bottlenecks that relates to data quality issues and assist facilities to develop Facility Improvement Plans (FIPs)
- Test and spread change ideas to close identified data gaps
- Assist in conducting QI learning sessions
- Maintain continuous communication through working with QI Coach; with the facility teams; Sub District teams and Data Analyst working closely with District Support Partner in the facility
- Record QI activities on data and document success stories and challenges.
- Capacitate District and Sub-District staff on use of the QI tools
2. Data Management
- Provide project data needs timely as per project key indicators
- Conduct Data integrity audits and reviews aiming at closing data quality gaps
- Assist facilities in improving data quality issues and do basic data analysis for QI team and other projects within the project.
- Work with Data Analyst to develop data collection tools and evaluation methodologies to assist the health data programmes.
- Assist in building capacity to DOH staff at all levels on how to use and interpret run charts.
- Assist facilities in using line lists and reports and actioning of these to improve program performance
- Track data over time to see improvement and assist in presenting it to facilities and the DSP including DOH staff.
- Provide data feedback to facilities on key performance areas and improvement plans progress
- Work with Data Analyst to capacitate the DOH data management to improve in data quality.
- Assist the project data quality officers to understand data quality improvement methodology.
- Map out data flow processes to assist in improving processes for improved data collection
- Work with Data Analyst in developing programme tools that will lead to successful changes/improvement, e.g. SOP, screening tools, etc.
- Assist facilities to identify filing system issues; systems for checking the accuracy of data collected and work with team close gaps.
- Check and clean raw data to identify errors.
- Ensure that the security of all data is maintained and confidentiality of participants is protected.
- Assist in the management of data electronically on the provided system
- Assist in the extraction of data from the database for purposes of analysis.
- Access data from Web DHIS and Tier.net as detailed in the data SOP
- Capacitate facilities on data for improvement methodologies.
- Writing of project reports
- Attend facility improvement meetings
- Determine the most effective work procedures and methods to achieve the organizational goals.
- Attend meetings for the project
- Be acquainted with all relevant DOH data policies and support reporting
4. Other duties
- Support Data Analysts on data requirements
|MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE POST
- Grade 12 certificate
- Computer literacy (MS excel; word; PowerPoint)
- Degree or diploma in a health field
- At least 1-year experience in data management, in the health environment.
- 1-2 years’ experience in QI within the District health system
- 1-2 years’ experience working with the Department of Health or knowledge of DOH data systems
- Driver’s license
- Basic knowledge of Web-DHIS is recommended and Tier.net reports and line lists
- Basic QI principles and knowledge in working with DOH
- Ability to use different tools to view data
- Understanding of TB and HIV data elements and indicators
- Proficient in Excel and basic analytic skills
- Ability to compile meaningful presentations and graphic presentations basic statistics
- High level of accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- In depth knowledge and skills in data management principles and understanding of routine health information system
Interested candidates are welcome to apply, please provide two (2) current, relevant employment references. Submit a brief CV and supporting documents, indicating the job title and your preferred location to be based in your cover letter and subject line on email to Lee-Anne Ogle: Human Resources Dept. @ fax +27 (0) 865722820 or e-mail email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Friday, 14 August 2020
IRD SA is an equal opportunity employer