VACANCY FOR A PARALEGAL
Ilitha Labantu is a social service and educational organization with a specific focus on addressing violence against women and children and supporting those affected by it. This is accomplished through individual and family counseling, workshops, skills training and empowerment, and acting as a trusted advisor in government and community processes. The client base is particularly focused amongst women living in townships and rural areas of South Africa.
Ilitha Labantu seeks to appoint a Paralegal to be based at Ilitha Labantu head office in Gugulethu this position is a full-time one year contractual post.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide legal advice to clients either face to face or telephonically
- Provide critical legal information and assist clients on legal questions and procedures
- Capture cases and create an electronic and hard filing system;
- Provide legal guidance to clients
- Court support, court preparation and liaise with saps/investigating officer/prosecutors etc
- Identify and share trends and initiate suitable responses and recommendations and mediate dispute resolutions;
- Public Legal education and training such as talks and workshops on issues such as Succession etc
- Simplification and training on legislation and policies in line with Women & Children’s rights
- Formulate stakeholder networks and engage in social mobilisation against gender-based violence.
- Strengthen a results orientation culture within the organisation.
- Identify internal and external service delivery challenges.
- Conduct on-going quality assurance, impact assessment and contribute formulation of relevant research questions.
- Programme monitoring and evaluation.
- Conduct advocacy actions together with community groups to achieve rights through a change in policy
- Initiate and support Ilitha Labantu and other campaigns to achieve policy change through providing information; promoting a message; recruiting support; consulting with stakeholders;
- Collaborate and comment on the development of written submissions;
- Capture data accurately, identify trends and give input into analysis;
- A minimum of a LLB
- Familiar with NPO/NGO working environment
- Strong inter-personal skills to liaise with senior management
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both oral and written
- Above average experience and knowledge in family law etc
- A strong sense of responsibility and urgency and the ability to deliver regularly on time
- Strong human resource management skills
- Must have their own transport
- Willingness to travel
Please submit letter of application, CV and names of three references, indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 August 2020.