Job title: Fin/ HR Assistant
Work Location: Observatory, Cape Town
Duration: 12 months (option to renew)
Start date: 01 June 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter
Reports to: Personnel Administration Manager (PAM) and Finance & Accountancy Manager (ACMA)
The Fin/ HR Assistant will execute administrative tasks and do follow up of project accountancy and HR related tasks, according to his/her supervisor’s indications and MSF policies and procedures, in order to ensure compliance with HR practices and payment requirements by the national law as well as keeping a strict control over monetary resources.
- National Diploma in Financial Management; Human Resource Management; Administration or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of experience in related fields
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to understand, comply strictly and implement procedures and policies
- Good organization, negotiation, problem solving and communication skills
- Good knowledge of relevant SA legislations governing employment
- Ability to identify and report risks and problems
- South African citizen or holder of a valid South African work permit
- Implement cash management and support the Regional Finance in security around bank and cash payments. Maintain the utmost confidentiality in dealing with finance matters.
- Ensure compliance with procedures around cash control, cash advances and the continuous reconciliation between physical and accounting system cash balances.
- Ensure proper follow up of r the timely receipt and payment of all invoices, ensuring that invoices and supporting documents comply with MSF financial guidelines, and the expense validation and payment procedures of the mission. Address cases of non-compliance with the parties involved.
- Ensure daily and good quality encoding of all financial transaction in the accounting software UNIFIELD, respecting accounting principles and the MSF/mission specific accounting standards. Respect the accounting cycle and monthly period closure deadlines.
- File accounting documents in accordance with the guidelines. Prepare documentation for audits and in case of specific requests.
- Upon request, provide financial information and analysis of national office related costs.
- Responsible for the briefing of new national office staff around payment procedures and finance requirements in the mission. Provide training and updates when changes occur
- Responsible for the housekeeping of the mission’s financial archives and the annual sending under the supervision of ACMA
- Execute finance and accounting related tasks under the guidance of the Accounting Manager
- Provide effective support to the Accounting Manager in case of absence or upon request.
- Process payments, ensuring that receipts and supporting documents meet the necessary quality standards
- In charge of the monthly scanning of all hard copies of finance documentation of the mission for availability on the network, to HQ and to the projects (Nestor, FTP and OneDrives).
HR and Administration
- Execute administrative and HR related tasks, under the guidance of the PAM and upon specific request of the project’s HR Managers, preparing and checking payroll calculations of the national office and updating personal files in order to ensure accuracy, compliance and on time payments.
- Prepare employment contracts in conformity with legal requirements including specific amendments when necessary in order to ensure local labour and fiscal law compliance to the extent is necessary, upon request of the PAM
- Provide effective support to the PAM, when requested, in compiling and submitting national reports according to labor law,
- Assist the PAM to remain updated in any amendment or modification of the national legislation which may affect directly or indirectly the mission
- Act as support in strictly technical HR duties (reports, Homere, filling and urgent legal or practical issues of the field) in case of absence of the PAM
- Ensure HR database and personal files are kept up to date (monthly updates)in order to facilitate HR processes management.
- Draw up monthly pay slips for all staff, editing and updating the necessary data, in order to ensure the punctuality and accuracy of staff payroll.
- Draw up the final pay slip and employment certificate at the end of a contract in order to meet legal requirements while defending MSF’s interests.
- Follow up all expiring rental contract dates and inform the PAM/ACMA in order to leave enough time to arrange a renewal or look for some other alternatives.
- Ensure that all administrative information coming from the National Support Office is available to the HR Managers (posting, announcements, etc.) or/and assist to prepare uniformed communication to the field on HR issues applicable to all projects.
Job Advantages and Career opportunities:
- Experience in a well-known and professionally recognized international medical humanitarian organization
- Salary package comparable to other non-profit organizations
- 100% medical aid cover
- 10% pension fund membership
- 13th cheque
To apply, please email your CV and motivation letter (with 3 contactable references) to firstname.lastname@example.org
MSF reserves the right not to make an appointment if a suitable candidate cannot be found. While MSF thanks all interested applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.