Health Systems Trust (HST)
The Health Systems Trust (HST) is driving change for comprehensive and equitable health systems through research and capacity development.
HST seeks to appoint a Programme Manager to be based in Sout Africa.
The purpose of this position is to manage and provide strategic direction and technical leadership to the SA SURE Project within the Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Unit. S/he will be responsible for quality assurance, overall project implementation, monitoring of project progress against set deliverables and targets, and liaison with the project funder and partners. All activities will be in line with the organisation’s goal of contributing to building equitable, effective and efficient national health systems in South Africa and the region, through the development and maintenance of functional health districts. This is a senior position and the candidate will contribute to other initiatives within the organisation, such as proposal-writing.
Employment type: This is a fixed-term contract position, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
- Provide technical leadership to HST staff in the design, securing, resourcing and implementation of HSS projects Support the HSS Director in the overall management of the Unit, including:
- planning and budgeting;
- fundraising (including proposal development) to ensure sustainability of the unit and the organisation; and
- quality assurance of the Unit’s outputs
- Manage relationships with funders and stakeholders; liaise with National and Provincial Departments of Health, other partners and clients
- Manage project managers and staff
- Support knowledge management within the organisation and ensure collaboration with other HST units
- Represent HST in public fora, meetings and conferences
- Contribute to the overall leadership of HST as a senior member of the team
- A postgraduate qualification in public health, social sciences or a related field
- At least seven years’ experience in public health and management of complex multi-stakeholder projects
- At least two years’ experience in the management of USA-funded projects
- General management experience
- Strong leadership and people management skillsDemonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with senior government officials, donors, and non-profit sectors
- Knowledge and experience of the southern African health systems and policies, public health and health information systems, HIV and AIDS, TB, monitoring and evaluation, and the District Health System
- A proactive and professional management style
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience of working in the non-profit environment will be an advantage
Interested applicants should forward a detailed CV stating the position applied for together with names and contact details (telephone numbers and an email address) of at least three contactable referees, at HROne@hst.org.za.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit certified copies of all qualifications and identity documents.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- E-mail users are requested to set the delivery option of their message on both ‘Return Receipt’ and ‘Confirm Delivery’.
- Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates.
- All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to reference and credential checks.
- If you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
- HST reserves the right to not fill this position.
The Health Systems Trust promotes employment equity.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information about Health Systems Trust refer to https://www.hst.org.za/aboutus
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies