mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across eight sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower HIV-positive women to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 10,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Evaluation and Operations Research Specialist
Recognised as a leader in delivering complementary care and support services, over the past 18 years, m2m has contributed meaningfully to virtually eliminating mother-to-child transmission of HIV (MTCT) within its client cohorts, and improving reproductive, maternal, new-born, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH) outcomes. The scale and scope of the m2m programme has expanded since 2014 to combat the causes and effects of HIV/AIDS in a more comprehensive manner. In 2018, m2m Mentor Mothers provided direct RMNCAH, ECD/OVC, prevention of MTCT as well as HIV Care and Support services to an estimated 1,075,741 beneficiaries in 8 countries in Southern and East Africa. Programmatic expansion at scale and a competitive funding environment necessitate continued, progressive investment in system development within and across m2m departments to ensure quality of care and organisational sustainability. Working across the organization, this position reports to the Director DPTS The position is responsible for leading the conceptualization and design, as well as management, of in-country and multi-country evaluation and operations research projects. The position is based at the m2m Head Office in Cape Town with opportunities to travel.
Key Performance Areas:
Advance m2m Evaluation and Operational Research (E&OR) Priorities:
- Defines E&OR priorities for m2m based on organizational need, the strategic planning process, country need identification, and any other relevant input / processes.
- Liaises with internal & external review committees regarding E&OR studies & implementation
- Prepares concept notes, proposals and RFAs to generate funds for identified research priorities
- Advises on and lead evaluation of existing and new programmatic activities and other organization evaluation needs
- Develops annual E&OR work plan and budget
Provide Technical Support tom2m Programme Teams and External Stakeholders where relevant:
- Co-ordinates and oversees m2m programme evaluations in all countries, including:
- liaises with country teams on evaluation planning
- supports local stakeholders in co-ordinating evaluations
- assists with local/international recruitment for consultants
- develops SOWs/ evaluation protocols
- ensures methodologically sound study design and analysis; overseeing report writing & dissemination
- Provides technical support to programme teams relating to Operations Research
- Supports implementation of QA/QI activities
- Oversees design and use of mHealth and other technology in support of evaluation and operations research
Co-ordination and Oversight of Evaluations and Operations Research Studies
- Oversees development and implementation of m2m E&OR studies & projects.
- Provide leadership on all aspects of studies and the management of studies - from protocol development, data collection, data management and analyses, development and dissemination of findings through oral presentations and written reports.
- Ensures methodologically sound study design and analysis, coordinating report writing & supporting dissemination - among contracted service providers as well as among students / interns who volunteer their services.
- Manages interdisciplinary project teams, staff and short term consultants to achieve E&OR objectives, including capacity building through training & ongoing support.
- Prepares research for peer-reviewed publication.
Drives the conceptualization, design and submission of Evaluation and Operations Research projects and proposals in response to competitive RFP processes
Present DPTS in interdisciplinary initiatives and assignments
Represent the interests of m2m on research committees and forums where research pertains to m2m, but is not necessarily driven by m2m
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD (preferable) in public health or related field with demonstrated specialisation in Evaluation and Operations Research in an NGO context.
- Minimum 10 years work experience in a senior position conducting HIV/PMTCT / RMNCH or related health and development empirical research, inclusive of evaluation and operations research, in resource constrained country contexts.
- Proven track record of publishing research based articles in reputable international peer reviewed journals
- Experience in participating in competitive Research / Evaluation and Operations Research bidding processes
- Experience in independently managing research projects and research teams.
- Experience collaborating with academic institutions, donor agencies, host governments & civil society organisations.
- Experience working in Southern and Eastern Africa preferable.
- Proven leadership, management, co-ordination & teamwork skills applied in the context of research, inclusive of evaluation and operations research.
- The ability to think creatively and deliver insightful evaluation and operations research outputs.
- Excellent research conceptualisation and design skills, evident in a proven track record in independently designing (Operations) Research and Evaluation using appropriate methodologies – quantitative, qualitative and / or participatory research methodology.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills, including the ability to manage, analyse and interpret data and present findings to technical and non-technical, general audiences.
- Strong qualitative analytical skills, including the ability to manage, analyse and interpret data and present findings to technical and non-technical, general audiences.
- Excellent data management skills, including data collection; analysis & interpretation; report writing; data use and dissemination.
- Advanced skills using statistical software programmes for quantitative analysis (e.g. STATA and SPSS).
- Experience in using software for qualitative analysis (e.g. Atlas.ti or NVivo) a strong recommendation.
- Aptitude for and commitment to paying attention to detail, and delivering accurate and precise outputs.
- Experience in mentoring and building capacity of junior staff and other colleagues
- Advanced skills in MS Office applications
- Excellent English communication skills & interpersonal skills
- A commitment to making a difference in the lives of women and children as part of a team of professionals working in an NGO setting
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 03 April 2020.