John Snow Inc (JSI)
HIV Care & Treatment
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate for the HIV Testing Services (HTS) and Community Supervisor position for a USAID-funded HIV Care and Treatment project in the City of Johannesburg, South Africa. The project is envisaged to run until 2021. The role will be a full-time position based in Pretoria/Johannesburg, South Africa. The successful candidate will work under the direction of the Senior Care & Treatment Advisor to lead targeted community case finding activities in order to deliver community level HIV testing and counselling, and link HIV positive clients to care and treatment for the project.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The HIV Testing Services (HTS) and Community Supervisor will lead a team of HTS Counselors who provide high quality HIV testing and counselling services. The HTS Community Supervisor ensures that Counselors are coached, mentored, and guided, and their performance is managed, so that accurate documentation is provided to ensure that set targets for improving Index Testing and Community HIV Care and Treatment are achieved. The HTS Community Supervisor also coordinates activities with other community organisations and implementing partners working in the designated region.
- Provide overall leadership and technical expertise for the project’s HIV testing services activities to guide the use of appropriate technical and programmatic approaches to HIV case finding through targeted testing;
- Identify improvements in the delivery of HIV Testing Services (HTS), including index and self-testing, and the adoption of best practices by HTS and community counselors;
- Coordinate and monitor HTS to ensure effective implementation in project sites;
- Provide expert guidance on innovative outreach strategies to find and reach previously undiagnosed people living with HIV in order to link them to care and treatment;
- Ensure quality HIV Testing Services (HTS) are provided as per national standards and protocol;
- Identify and track sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) associated with index testing and assisted partner notification in order to support referral to SGBV survivor services;
- Ensure monthly forecasting, quantification and reporting on Rapid Test Kits (RTKs) and HIV self-testing kits is done according to the guidelines, and raise a 1-month early warning alert for expected RTK shortage;
- Spearhead promotion of HTS services and innovations aimed at increasing access to HTS provision;
- Assist HTS Counselors to generate demand and mobilise at-risk clients in the designated community to undergo HIV testing;
- Participate in EQA activities (proficiency testing and observed practice) documented and available at the facility level;
- Ensure accurate data entry and timely reporting to achieve project targets and expectations;
Qualifications and Experience:
- NQF level 7 qualification in public health or related discipline is an essential requirement;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with large-scale community-based HIV testing programs in South Africa is an essential requirement;
- Certificate in HTS with at least 5 years of counseling experience is an essential requirement;
- Demonstrated (preferably state-of-the-art) expertise in HIV testing approaches for the targeted populations in high prevalence settings, including active index testing and HIV self-testing is an essential requirement;
- Excellent interpersonal and articulation skills in English, and relevant local language(s) for the Johannesburg area, are required;
- Ability and willingness to work outside of normal working hours is required;
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience with international health and HIV and AIDS programs is strongly preferred, inclusive of at least 3 years in a technical leadership role in resource challenged settings;
- Prior experience with capacity building and clinical training of health personnel for improved service delivery in resource-challenged settings is strongly preferred; and
- Demonstrable skills in quality assurance systems will be a distinct advantage.
Closing Date for Applications: 27 March 2020 after which, it will be rolling for consideration until we find a suitable candidate. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as directed below.
Via email (Specify on the Subject Line: HIV Testing Services (HTS) and Community Supervisor) to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not receive a response 30 days after the closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful. We take this opportunity to thank you for your application and your interest in JSI.