International Federation and Red Crescent Societies of the Red Cross (IFRC)
|Job Title||Disaster Law Senior Officer for Southern Africa|
|Organizational Unit||Southern Africa Cluster|
|Immediate Supervisor’s Title||Head of the Southern Africa Cluster|
|Technical Line Manager||Disaster Law Coordinator for Africa|
|Duration||12 months with possible extension|
The IFRC’s Disaster Law Programme (DLP) promotes legal approaches to disaster management that make communities safer, humanitarian relief more effective and recovery stronger. It provides expert advice to National Societies and governments, undertakes legal research and fosters discussion and learning about the development of disaster law. The Programme operates under the mandates provided to the IFRC secretariat at the 28th, 30th and 31st International Conferences of the Red Cross and Red Crescent and in the IFRC’s Strategy 2020.
The Disaster Law Senior Officer will support disaster law activities in the Africa Region with special focus on Southern Africa countries. S/he works in close collaboration with other Region Units as well as with National Societies in the region. The Senior Officer forms an integral part of the IFRC’s global Disaster Law Programme team.
The purpose of this position is to support the management and implementation of the IFRC’s work on disaster law in the Africa Region with a special focus in Southern Africa countries. This include providing support to National Societies promoting Disaster Law projects in addition to providing technical support in the drafting of legal and policy documents for effective disaster risk management. This position will also support the Disaster Law Coordinator for Africa in his/her activities in Advocacy, Training and Research.
Job duties and responsibilities
Support the development and implementation of the DLP elements of the Operational Plan in the Africa region with a focus on the Southern Africa Region.
- Support National Societies in understanding and developing legal advocacy strategies and the implementation thereof in the field of Disaster Law
- Undertake capacity building of National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on legal issues in disaster response through the conduct of trainings and workshops on disaster law and legislative advocacy.
- Provide technical assistance on strengthening disaster law through National Societies to relevant authorities, in particular through the timely implementation of high-quality country-level technical support projects.
- Support the development and implementation of regional advocacy and dissemination strategies on disaster law
- Activities include the dissemination and information-sharing activities, delivering presentations at meetings and conferences, cultivating a regional pool of experts on disaster law issues encouraging inter-governmental and regional forums to take note of and use the Disaster Law Programme products, and drafting research, articles and papers.
- Support in the development, evaluation and piloting of Global Disaster Law Programme tools
- Engaging with development and strategic partners to develop strategy for sustainable and consistent engagement with National Societies, government agencies and regional organisations
- Ensuring proper budget monitoring and efficient utilization of donor funds
- Support in continued donor engagement through development of proposals, provision of updated status of implementation as well as timely reporting
- Support continued awareness raising and engament with PNS and Programme Hubs in IFRC to promote integration of DL activities in existing and future activities
- Provide technical review on legislative drafting and review procecesses to RECs, governments agencies and National Societies
- Engaging regional and sub regional organisations to advocate for DL as well as support in the development of instruments for use by member states in the development of national DL frameworks
- Support in the conduct of global and regional research as required, through collating information on national society, government and UN agencies policies pertaining to relevant issues under research
- Contribute to the development of DL Global and Regional strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities annually
Duties applicable to all staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
|Bachelor of Laws and Masters degree||x|
|At least 5 years of legal work experience in a related area||x|
|At least 5 years of experience in project management||x|
|Experience in legal/academic writing and drafting||x|
|Experience in providing technical assistance in the development of legislation, including in developing countries||x|
|Experience within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement||x|
|Knowledge and Skills||Required||Preferred|
|Sound knowledge and understanding of international and national law and policy-making processes||x|
|Good understanding of gender and social inclusion considerations in international and national law and policy-making processes||x|
|Good understanding of disaster preparedness and management concepts||x|
|Good understanding of the global humanitarian system||x|
|Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written||x|
|Fluent spoken and written English||x|
|Fluent spoken and written French||x|
|Competencies (to be filled in by HR)|
|National Society Relations|
|Results Focus & Accountability|
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. We encourage people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply.
Sign off by Line Manager
For internal use only
|Approved by the Job Classification Committee:||Date:|
Applicants to send their CVs and Motivation letter to email@example.com