Sustainable Energy Africa (SEA)
Sustainable Energy Africa (SEA) promotes equitable, low carbon, clean energy development in urban South Africa and Africa. They do this through research, capacity building, policy engagement and information dissemination.
SEA seeks to appoint an Advisor to be based in Cape Town.
Remuneration: Offering a competitive salary depending on qualifications, experience and ability.
Employment type: Full-time position
The purpose of this position is to find a person at mid or senior-level to contribute to their urban energy development work at SEA. SEA’s mission is to promote the development of an equitable low carbon, clean energy economy throughout Southern Africa. This includes the more efficient use of energy, the transition to more sustainable energies such as solar and wind power, access to safe and affordable energy for all and a holistic view of sustainable development. To this end, important experience and background would include technical ability with renewable energy and energy efficiency and an understanding of the developmental context of the country, with a particular emphasis on their cities. They would like to employ a suitable technical graduate in an energy, engineering or related field.
- Qualification and Experience:
- A postgraduate qualification in energy, engineering or related field
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in the field of sustainable development and/or sustainable energy, ideally in the work environment of local government
- Good spoken and written communication ability in English
- Analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to produce quality outputs within deadlines
- Proven project management and coordination skills
- Extensive technical know-how and proven willingness to further develop and enhance technical skills and competencies
- Core knowledge, Skills and Behaviour:
- An understanding of the Government’s legislative process
- Excellent stakeholder relations
- Good communication skills including process facilitation
- Analytical skills
- Knowledge of relevant legislation
- Understanding of the Local Government environment
- Strong planning and organising skills
- Computer literate
- Ideal specific skills:
- Electricity sector policy and regulatory framework
- Integration of variable renewable energy into the national grid and power system
- Sustainable implementation of small-scale embedded generation (SSEG) in local distribution networks
- Energy efficiency
Flexibility is important, as the work can include technical and non-technical aspects of sustainable energy, including renewable energy, energy efficiency, capacity-building activities, urban energy strategies, regulation/policy development, sustainable building, transport issues, and advocacy and lobbying.
Much of the work Sustainable Energy Africa is currently involved in is around energy and energy-related issues in South African cities and provinces, as well as in other African countries.
You should be able and willing to travel within the country and Africa-wide.
The organisation provides a stimulating, supportive and varied work environment. Work-life balance is important to us, as is professional performance.
All things being equal, preference for the filling of this post will be given to historically disadvantaged applicants.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Please Note: SEA reserves the right not to fill this vacancy or to close the advert prior to the stipulated closing date. Only candidates who meet the minimum requirements stipulated in the advert, will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 8 weeks from the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
For more about the SEA, refer to www.sustainable.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to http://www.ngopulse.org/opportunities