Common Good is looking for a part-time writer to join our Communications team on a fixed term contract until the end of December 2020.
As a social justice NPO, it is imperative that we demonstrate how our work is contributing to positive and lasting change. Storytelling is a key component in both documenting and celebrating that impact it articulates action, fuels hope and motivates our efforts. In a hurting nation, Common Good desires to tell stories of transformation that are taking place through our Early Life, Education and Employment initiatives.
The successful incumbent will have a passion for social justice and a strong desire to share good news with a wide range of audiences. You will work in a tight-knit Communications team alongside other creatives, and in collaboration with multi-disciplinary professionals across our programmes. You will have the opportunity to accompany staff who are on the front lines of development and to engage with the beneficiaries that they serve.
The stories that you capture will be a vital component in deepening our impact and extending our reach to more and more communities across Cape Town, and beyond.
- Identify story-telling opportunities from Common Good’s Early Life, Education and Employment initiatives;
- Attend events and travel to our partner sites to capture stories of impact;
- Interview beneficiaries, staff and stakeholders;
- Write engaging, well-targeted news articles and press releases to share with donor audiences and the public;
- Gather and tell compelling beneficiary stories that demonstrate impact;
- Draft and edit copy for presentations, reports and website updates;
- Adapt content for use across multiple media channels, including print and digital publications;
- Work alongside the Resource Development and Communication teams to produce quarterly newsletters and monthly donor communications.
- A relevant tertiary qualification in Creative Writing, Communications, or equivalent;
- 3-4 years’ experience in a similar role;
- Excellent MS Office skills;
- Valid Driver’s license;
- Willingness to contribute to the values and ethos of Common Good is essential.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Proven ability to capture appropriate voice and tone;
- Proven ability to frame and tailor communications for a target audience,
- Strong interview and reporting skills;
- Ability to identify, gather and tell good stories in a compelling manner;
- Experience in developing appropriately packaged content for print and digital publication, including social media channels;
- Experience in scriptwriting would be beneficial.
- Dependable and proactive team-player who takes initiative;
- Mature and responsible attitude towards work with the ability to take ownership of outcomes;
- Good time management, prioritisation and organisational skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- A skilled communicator with high levels of emotional intelligence;
- Adaptable and willing to work on multiple deliverables in parallel;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop positive working relationships with individuals and teams;
Your own transport is essential, as you will be traveling to events and locations regularly.
To apply, please send a motivational cover letter, your CV and two recent work references to Andrea Ressell 13 March 2020.
TO: email@example.com .za
REF: Indicate the position title in the subject line
NOTE: An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment. Applicants who fail to meet the minimum requirements will be automatically disqualified from consideration. Applicants who do not receive a reply within one month of submission should deem their application to have been unsuccessful. We reserve the right not to fill the position.