For 30 years, the International Youth Foundation (IYF) has coordinated and sustained actions that harness the talent and potential of the world’s young people. At the heart of our efforts is building partnerships, initiatives, and curricula that prepare young people to succeed as citizens and employees.
In South Africa, IYF partners to strengthen education and training systems including public TVET colleges and employer-led learnerships for unemployed youth so that they better equip young people to access and expand economic opportunity. We work with national government and TVET leaders to align courses with industry needs; we equip employers to deliver more impactful life skills training within their learnerships; and we create mutually beneficial partnerships between industry and education systems that improve young people’s lives while also delivering measurable business benefits.
IYF’s work in South Africa is always exciting, ever-evolving, and informed by the needs of key stakeholders: The Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET), national industry groups, individual employers, and young people. It is not without challenges, but the payoff is worth it. Our programming is supported by a growing number of government, corporate, and foundation donors, including the UK Prosperity Fund (UKPF), U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Embassy of Ireland, Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), De Beers, and PepsiCo Foundation.
IYF’s work in South Africa is always exciting, ever-evolving, and informed by the needs of key stakeholders: the Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET), national industry groups, individual employers, and young people. It is not without challenges, but the payoff is worth it. Our programming is supported by a growing number of government, corporate, and foundation donors, including the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Embassy of Ireland, Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), De Beers, and PepsiCo Foundation.
International Youth Foundation (IYF) seeks to fill the following vacancy:
TVET Curriculum Enhancement Manager
IYF South Africa is preparing to launch an innovative four-year initiative with the National Association of Automotive Component and Allied Manufacturers (NAACAM) that will harness the knowledge and skills imperatives of this vital economic sector along with IYF curricula enhancement tools to strengthen the quality of select TVET college courses. Ultimately, IYF wants to demonstrate a model for greater industry involvement in TVET course design and delivery that generates enthusiasm from TVET educators and industry, while also generating positive returns for young people and employers.
We need a TVET Curriculum Enhancement Manager to oversee the design of content and pedagogic upgrades for select existing qualifications in the public TVET college system. The Manager will work in-tandem with other IYF project staff (including provincial Programme Managers in Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal), advanced manufacturing skills experts, industry and government representatives, TVET educators, and youth advisors to deliver on the aims of this exciting initiative.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Working with employers to identify priority skills gaps: Utilising industry competency models, engaging select employers to identify priority skills gaps in their businesses and amongst new recruits.
- Leading TVET Course Diagnostic Process: Working with TVET college partners and advanced manufacturing skills experts to identify areas for improvement in TVET course content and/or delivery, aligned to industry’s priority skills gaps/needs.
- Overseeing Design of TVET Course Enhancements: Leading the design of select TVET course content and/or pedagogic improvements, such as improved lesson plans and teacher training content. Managing consultants that will support this effort, including advanced manufacturing skills experts, gender and social inclusion specialists, and layout/graphic-designers.
- Managing Content Approval Processes: Ensuring upgraded TVET course content has gone through the requisite approval processes with DHET and/or partner TVET colleges.
- Overseeing Introduction of TVET Course Enhancements: Working closely with IYF Project Managers, ensuring quality introduction of TVET course improvements, including through designing and leading lecturer training workshops and/or identifying and equipping local contractors for this role.
- Responding to TVET & Industry Priorities: Cultivating strong working relationships with TVET college leaders and lecturers, and industry partner staff. Ensuring the initiative is responsive to their needs and working realities and generates excitement and commitment from these stakeholders.
- Adapting Approaches based on Emerging Trends: Working with initiative staff, continuously map skills trends and policy updates in the TVET sector and automotive components manufacturing industry. Using that knowledge to ensure the initiative adapts to these changes and trends.
The TVET Curriculum Enhancement Manager must meet the following criteria:
- 7+ years’ curriculum design experience, with expertise in designing course content with active-teaching, student-centred pedagogies for previously disadvantaged communities in South Africa.
- In-depth knowledge of South Africa’s National Qualifications Framework (NQF), quality assurance bodies, and related skills development institutions (e.g. SAQA).
- Working knowledge of public TVET college qualifications, subject guidelines, and quality assurance processes and policies strongly preferred.
- Inquisitive and self-motivated learner. You do not need to have prior experience designing course content related to advanced manufacturing. You do need to be committed and excited to rapidly learn about skills needs and approaches for this sector and apply that learning to your work.
- Experience leading collaborative curriculum development processes, with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Ability to adjust communication style and collaboration approach as needed.
- Strong MS Office skills a must, with working knowledge of Microsoft OneNote and SharePoint an added advantage.
- Ability to travel domestically (particularly Port Elizabeth and Durban) regularly, sometimes on very short notice, and potentially regionally and internationally with advanced notice.
- Relevant Master’s degree (e.g. Education, Social Sciences)
- Driver’s license and personal vehicle
- South African citizen or permanent resident
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 06th March 2020 to email@example.com