FunDza Literacy Trust
FunDza is an innovative nonprofit organisation that uses technology to connect hundreds of thousands of young people on a monthly basis with exciting locally-produced reading content. It also hosts online courses and provides aspirant young writers with an online writing platform to publish their work.
The FunDza Literacy Trust seeks to appoint a full stack developer to be based in Muizenberg, Cape Town.
Employment Type: This is a one-year contract position subject to a three-month probation.
Remuneration: Salary negotiable dependent on experience.
The purpose of this position is to find a young and competent someone with ambition and a passion for making a difference to the lives of young people in our country. While the person must demonstrate technical inovation and expertise, there will be potential for growth and learning too.The organisation is in a growth phase and is looking at bringing some of its development in-house through this hire. The successful candidate would report to the Executive Director, and he/she would have the support of external high-level mentors, and an IT innovation committee.
- Liaise with external developers and assist in the direct development work of the current platforms, and new platforms too.
- Conceptualise, specify, develop and extend the current FunDza platform (which includes reading platform, learning platform, survey system and identity system), the current WhatsApp Business platform, related micro-services and new services.
- Develop new products that further FunDza's mission of making reading and writing accessible and fun for South Africa's youth.
- Oversee infrastructure and hosted services, ensuring security and availability of all systems.
- Collaborate well with external developers and strategists, and be prepared to look for new innovations that will help the organisation grow and develop exciting tools to meet the needs of its target market.
- Their current technology stack includes:
- extensive Wordpress - themes, plugins, a few customizations
- Java (server-side and Android)
- Apache, Memcached
- Sass / Scss
- Git / Make / Gulp
- Ubuntu Linux
- Prometheus / Grafana / monit
FunDza is not able to cover relocation expenses and the candidate will be expected to work from FunDza's offices although some flexibility regarding this can be negotiated.
To apply, email a two-page motivational cover letter that provides information on your experience and salary expectation, and which explains WHY you would be interested in working at FunDza, as well as a short (three-page max) CV that includes 2 contactable references.
Please note: We will acknowledge receipt of all applications but we will only contact short-listed candidates for interviews. The placement process will include a technical test.
The placement will be made in line with FunDza's employment policies.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about FunDza Literacy Trust, refer to www.fundza.co.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies