Equal Education Law Centre
EQUAL EDUCATION A DYNAMIC YOUTH LED SOCIAL JUSTICE ORGANISATION
IS GROWING AND HAS AN EXCITING VACANCY TO FILL
About Equal Education
Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. Equal Education works by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and addresses these problems through local and national campaign; a commitment to robust political education and campaign strategising with members; and building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
A democratic movement, EE’s National Council, made up of learners, parents, post-school youth, and experienced activists, along with its General Secretary and Deputy General Secretary are elected at our National Congress; hosted every 3 years. The National Congress along with the National Council is mandated to direct the work EE undertakes during each 3 year period.
Equal Education’s Culture
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to resist patriarchy, tribalism, ageism, sexism, racism and other forms of discriminatory practices that operate in our homes, communities and places of work.
As a member of staff, one must commit to upholding EE’s principles for a safe and welcoming work environment. Our principles aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and safe for all who pass through the organisation.
Equal Education (EE) seeks to appoint a Finance Manager to be based at its national office in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
The position is situated within the Finance and Fundraising Department. The Finance Manager is responsible for oversight of the organisation’s financial operations and ensuring that the organisation is financially healthy. This role is ideal for a young, socially minded individual looking to utilise their professional skills in advancing a youth-led struggle for an equal and just South Africa.
- Ability to provide strategic vision.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Understanding of organisation wide goals, plans and resources.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Ability to manage big budgets and interpret financial information.
- Assess and forecast financial risks internally.
- Ability to build internal financial capacity of staff and management.
- Delegate effectively.
- Provide strategic direction to the Finance Department.
- Develop budgets for the organisation, monitor income and expenditure against the budget, monitor cash flow, do medium and long-term financial projections for the organisation.
- Oversee effective and efficient implementation of financial procedures and controls in accordance with EE’s financial policies; developing policies as required.
- Ensure regular reporting on all financial matters to the General Secretary, SMT, Audit Committee and National Council.
- Support heads of department in planning, budgeting, financial decision making.
- Support and assist the General Secretary in determining EE’s long-term financial requirements; assisting in developing a sustainability strategy for EE.
- Develop and implement strategies to maximise EE’s investments with EE’s asset managers.
- Ensuring donor funds are correctly allocated within EE’s budget, funds are spent in accordance with grant agreements, and financial reports provided to donors as required. .
- Provide direct management of the finance team. Ensure that offices and projects are appropriately monitored, with financial controls in place.
- Serve on EE’s Senior Management Team.
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to listen, show patience, employ compassionate decision-making
- Deadline orientated.
- Results driven.
- Decision-making skills.
- Ability to coordinate different departments.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Strong understanding of finance systems.
- Knowledge of foreign exchange transactions.
- Excellent spoken and written communication.
- Ability to train staff members with limited financial know how.
- Fully computer literate in Microsoft Office; excellent in Excel; proficient in Pastel and Sage accounting products.
Qualification and experience:
- Bcom Accounting degree, and/or proven background in finance, business or economics.
- 3-5 years’ experience working in the same/or similar role.
- Demonstrated understanding of social movements, organising and the civil society context in South Africa, a plus.
- Own transport and a valid driver’s license.
Level: This is a senior level position. R528 000 - R600 000 per annum.
Each application should include a CV and a letter of motivation. Each document must be saved with your name, surname and the type of document: eg. xxx_xxx_CV. Please save all documents in pdf. format. You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
Please include three contactable references.
The email subject line must clearly state the position you are applying.
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday, 6 March 2020 at mid night.
You can also visit our website at www.equaleducation.org.za/careers