ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability
(1-year fixed term contract position with the potential of renewal)
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities. ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position below, to join our African team of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
The successful candidate must have a strong technical background related to urban planning, governance and finance in the African context. This includes supporting African cities with improved skills, knowledge, protocols and processes for effective development, implementation and enforcement of urban plans, as well as the implementation and localisation of Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals.
Candidates, via their applications, should provide evidence of the following experience:
- Experience in land use planning and development control, with tailored experience in supporting sub-national governments in relation to climate resilience and access to finance. It will be advantageous if this experience is related to improving underlining goals, targets and indicators across a range of sector development plans.
- Experience working on multi-level governance initiatives and/ or activities. Our meaning of multi-level governance includes ensuring sound collaboration across government tiers vertically, between government bodies within a tier (e.g. municipal departments) horizontally, as well as between diverse sets of individuals and groups from government, academia, the private sector and civil society.
- Experience in designing and implementing innovative training and facilitation processes for technical and political government representatives.
- Knowledge and experience of international development processes and goals such as the Sustainable Development Goals, the New Urban Agenda, the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Planning, implementation and management of projects with proven experience of working in, and managing multi-disciplinary project teams, and undertaking applied research.
- Stakeholder engagement, strategic partnerships, business development and acquisition, resource mobilisation and partnership development.
- A Master’s degree in City and Regional Planning, a 4 year degree in Town Planning, or equivalent post-graduate degree
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience
- Accreditation / or proof of working towards accreditation with national planning professional bodies (e.g. the South African Council for Planners)
- Ability to produce technical reports, popular articles, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in
- Innovative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet, and can bring new ways of thinking about current challenges
- Individuals who are prepared to add to and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s reputation and networks across Africa and internationally
- An individual who can take initiative and who can apply critical thinking, problem solving and systems thinking approaches
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations, as well as the private sector on behalf of ICLEI
- Ability to be flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience
- South African resident/ valid work or critical skills permit
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to travel extensively, locally and internationally.
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context
- Proficiency in English and another global language, especially Swahili, French, and / or Portuguese, will be a strong added advantage
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including:
- A certified copy of your ID and / or documentation indicating your ability to work in South Africa,
- Available starting date, and
- Three contactable references
To Sonya Smith - email@example.com - by 11h00 SAST on 7 February 2020.
No late applications will be considered.
A market-related and competitive annual remuneration package (TCOE based) will be offered to successful candidates, taking into consideration qualifications and experience.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 60 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful.
ICLEI Africa reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.
ICLEI Africa is open to applications for internships and volunteering in fields relevant to sustainability on an ongoing basis.