Africa Check is a non-profit organisation set up in 2012 to promote accuracy in public debate and the media in Africa. The goal of Africa Check’s work is to raise the quality of information available to society across the continent. Since 2012 we have fact-checked more than 1500 claims on topics from crime and race in South Africa to population numbers in Nigeria and fake health cures in countries around Africa.
Based in the Journalism Department of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg,
Africa Check seeks to appoint a Head of Partnerships and Engagement (Full-time)
The Head of Partnerships & Engagement is responsible for creating a sustainable and diverse funder portfolio. The ideal candidate will think strategically about growth opportunities and will have a strong track record of building and maintaining impactful relationships. This role reports to the deputy director.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive partnership and fundraising strategy
- Creating a sustainable and diverse fundraising portfolio, with income streams including corporates, foundations and other grantmakers
- Pioneering new and innovative fundraising approaches that are grounded in research
- Cultivating, growing and sustaining impactful partnerships from inception to delivery
- Identifying and unlocking new funding and partnership opportunities
- Developing compelling communications materials for brand awareness and fundraising purposes
- Supporting the development of large-scale multi-country proposals to international funders
- Ensuring the delivery of high-quality reports that effectively convey the meaning and impact of Africa Check’s work and our progress against agreed goals
- Building strong relationships across Africa Check’s four offices to ensure in-depth understanding of the holistic approach we use to fight mis- and disinformation in different contexts
- Working with the deputy director and finance team to develop and manage budgets
- Ensuring that contractual requirements and deadlines are met.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum five years’ relevant work experience in areas such as business development, strategic partnerships, relationship management or grant management
- Proven ability to build and grow high-impact, meaningful and long-term relationships and skilled in managing stakeholders
- Resilient self-starter who takes ownership of projects while working collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent results-driven project management skills
- Strong financial acumen
- Demonstrated ability to present complex ideas and information in an insightful, engaging and structured manner, both in written and verbal communication
- Strong listening skills and ability to adapt messages to meet the needs of diverse audiences
- An awareness of the nature of mis- and disinformation, specifically in Africa
- Proven ability to effectively prioritise when juggling multiple responsibilities while maintaining attention to detail
- Consulting experience (advantageous)
- Experience in working across diverse geographies and cultures (advantageous).
Submit a CV with a cover letter explaining why you would be ideal for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 February 2020 using the following subject line: “Application for Head of Partnerships & Engagement position”. In your cover letter, suggest one income or partnership idea that Africa Check should pursue and explain why you think it would be impactful.
Should you not hear from us within two weeks from the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.