DG Murray Trust (DGMT)
JobStarter is a Not-for-Profit Company aimed at improving young people’s ability to take their first steps towards decent work. One-third of young people in South Africa are not in employment, education or training (NEET). To help address this, we believe the following structural barriers can be addressed in the medium term through a digital platform (https://jobstarter.co.za/). These include:
- Persistent information asymmetries that prevent young people from navigating their way towards opportunity;
- An inability of young people to flag work-readiness competencies without formal qualifications or experience; and
- The high cost of work seeking.
Targeted at young, engaged NEETS; JobStarter was designed as a low-cost, mobile platform with three core offerings:
- easily accessible and well-curated information for young people to take their next steps towards the labour market;
- work-readiness focussed e-learning; and
- a platform where opportunity providers can find young, local opportunity seekers.
The Opportunities Manager must take on the following responsibilities:
- Develop, execute and evaluate an opportunities strategy via the Jobstarter digital platform:
- The strategy must optimise the platform so that young opportunity seekers are supported to become more work-ready, able to successfully secure interviews and retain opportunities.
- In addition, opportunity providers / employers need support to create more opportunities, to quickly and easily find and recruit young opportunity seekers, and to support young hires.
- Develop relationships and nurture partnerships to execute the strategy with employers, non-profit organisations and other organisations such as the QCTO, SETAs and Chambers of Commerce and to understand how to support opportunity providers/employers to create new opportunities for young people.
- Use learning and insights to improve the platform.
- At a minimum, the candidate must have:
- a relevant qualification – such as in the field of social development, community development, and/or economics
- a minimum of five years of relevant work experience. At least two of those years must have been spent leading a project, programme or unit.
- Preferably, the candidate:
- has experience helping young people secure opportunities;
- has an understanding of how to optimize and leverage an online platform; and
- is fluent in two or more of South Africa’s official languages.
- The ideal candidate has the following attributes, they:
- consider issues at a strategic level;
- understand what prevents young people from accessing opportunities;
- are able to work with stakeholders towards a common vision, and can navigate complex relationships;
- can translate lessons from implementation and relationships into mechanisms to optimise the JobStarter digital platform;
- are comfortable trouble-shooting challenges and implementing solutions based on information;
- invite input across teams and collaborate with other people to execute strategies; and
- are able to self-manage within a start-up environment.
This is a 12 month, fixed-term, contract with possibility of renewal. Salary negotiable based on skills and experience. The position is based in Cape Town. To apply please send your CV, a covering letter and three contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying use “Application: Opportunities Manager” as the subject line of your email.
Applications close 31 January 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.