The Bulungula College (BC) is looking for a suitably qualified and dynamic individual to be part of our education team. In 2020, the BC will expand to include Grade 11 and aims to cater for Grade 12 learners by 2021. Bulungula College endeavors to make high quality education available to our community members.
The Bulungula College is a no-fee paying Independent High School. It is governed by the philosophy of its mother organization, the Bulungula Incubator (BI). The BI is a rural development not-for-profit organization, based on the Wild Coast of the Eastern Cape, in the former Transkei. Our programmes are concentrated into four focus areas: Education, Sustainable Livelihoods, Health and Nutrition and Vibrant Villages. Our vision is to be a catalyst for the creation of vibrant and sustainable rural communities. In partnership with our community, government, NGO’s and other innovative thinkers, the Bulungula Incubator aims to achieve our vision through finding synergies between traditional rural African culture, and external technologies and innovations.
Bulungula College is looking for an individual who can competently present these TWO subjects up to Grade12:
- Agriculture Sciences; and
- Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy
PERFORMANCE AREAS AND ACTIVITIES
Duties and responsibilities
- Knowledge of the Subjects
- To have expert knowledge of the subject areas
- To pursue relevant opportunities to grow professionally and keep up-to-date about the current knowledge and research in the subject areas
- To plan and prepare appropriately the assigned learning program
- To conduct assigned classes at the scheduled times
- To demonstrate competence in classroom instruction
- To implement the designated curriculum completely and in due time
- To plan and implement effective classroom management practices
- To design and implement effective strategies to develop self-responsible/independent learners
- To promote learners’ intrinsic motivation by providing meaningful and progressively challenging learning experiences which include, but are not limited to: self-exploration, questioning, making choices, setting goals, planning and organizing, implementing, self-evaluating and demonstrating initiative in tasks and projects
- To engage learners in active, hands-on, creative problem-based learning
- To provide opportunities for learners to access and use current technology, resources and information to solve problems or integrate relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction
- To provide opportunities for learners to apply and practice what is learned
- To engage learners in creative thinking and integrated or interdisciplinary learning experiences
- To build learners’ ability to work collaboratively with others
- To adapt instruction/support to learners’ differences in development, learning styles, strengths and needs
- To vary instructional roles (e.g. instructor, coach, facilitator, co-learner, audience) in relation to content and purpose of instruction and learners’ needs
- To maintain a safe, orderly environment conducive to learning
- To demonstrate preparation and skill in working with learners from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds.
- To comply with requirements for the safety and supervision of learners inside and outside the classroom.
- To define and communicate learning expectations to learners
- To apply appropriate multiple assessment tools and strategies to evaluate and promote the continuous intellectual development of the learners
- To assign reasonable assignments and homework to learners as per Bulungula College rules
- To evaluate learners’ performances in an objective, fair and timely manner
- To record and report timely the results of quizzes, assignments, mid- and final semester exams
- To use learner assessment data to guide changes in instruction and practice, and to improve learner learning
- To be punctual and be available at Bulungula College during official working hours
- To comply with policies, standards, rules, regulations and procedures of the Bulungula College
- To prepare and maintain relevant portfolios or files
- To take precautions to protect the Bulungula College records, equipment, materials, and facilities
- To participate responsibly in the Bulungula College improvement initiatives
- To attend and participate in scheduled meetings including departmental staff development meetings and other assigned meetings and activities according to Bulungula College policy
- To demonstrate timeliness and attendance for assigned responsibilities
- To work collaboratively with other professionals and staff
- To participate in partnerships with other members of the Bulungula College’s community to support learner learning and the college-related activities
- To demonstrate the ability to perform teaching or other responsibilities, including good work habits, reliability, punctuality and follow-through on commitments
- To provide and accept evaluative feedback in a professional manner
- To create and maintain a positive and safe learning environment
- To carry out any other related duties assigned by the College head or any designated person
- To model honesty, fairness and ethical conduct
- To model a caring attitude and promote positive inter-personal relationships
- To model correct use of language, oral and written
- To foster learner self-control, self-discipline and responsibility to others
- To model and promote empathy, compassion and respect for the gender, ethnic, religious, cultural and learning diversity of learners
- To demonstrate skill when managing learner behavior, intervening and resolving discipline problems
- To model good social skills, leadership and civic responsibility
Leading and participating in extra curricula activities:
- Willing to coach and or participate in the extra mural activities forming part of the Bulungula College’s curriculum with no expectations of extra income
- Please indicate the code (s) you are able to coach.
- A passion for rural development work is essential
- A university degree in education is required. A Post-graduate degree in the School Subject(s) will be an added advantage
- SACE registered and strong desire to improve educational standards
- Police clearance certificate required (to be done when considered for the position)
- Proven ability to relate to children and to inspire and motivate them • Knowledge and understanding of the South African curriculum
- Experience with the education sector and education policies preferred
- Communication in isiXhosa an advantage
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to succeed in challenging environments and problem-solving
- Willingness to live in a remote rural village as a community member
- Willingness to mentor and train others
- Must be aligned to our mission of developing the school into a school of excellence and willing to go the extra mile to achieve this mission.
- Exhibit a genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every learner.
- Have a strong moral purpose with an uncompromising approach to school improvement and raising learner attainment.
- Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and level of experience
To apply, please send your detailed CV with two contactable referees, certified copies of academic and professional qualifications, copy of ID plus a letter of motivation to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
For enquiries about this post, please contact Betty on 062 811 7893 or 087 808 4355.
The closing date for applications is 21 February 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and if you are not contacted within two weeks after the closing date, please know that your application was not successful.