Seed and Knowledge Initiative (SKI)
|Biowatch South Africa
Biowatch hosts the Seed Knowledge Initiative (SKI).
Biowatch challenges industrial agriculture and demonstrates agroecology to ensure biodiversity, food sovereignty and social justice.
Biowatch works with small-holder farmers, other civil society organisations and government to ensure that people have control over their food, agricultural processes and resources, and other natural resources, within a biodiverse, agroecological and sustainable system.
|Seed and Knowledge Initiative (SKI)
SKI (pronounced ‘Sky’) began in 2013 and has since expanded to include partner organisations working on biodiversity, seed, agroecology and environmental justice in Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa.
We are currently in year one of Phase 2 (2019-2021) which involves consolidation of the work done to date, increased emphasis on building ownership among partners, strengthened advocacy and research, and increased engagement with new allies and strategic stakeholders.
SKI’s work involves:
- Strengthen, lead and manage the SKI team and SKI’s programme of work:
- develop a strong, fit-for-purpose team, capable of facilitating and supporting SKI processes
- ensure that partner granting, partner strengthening, practice development and learning, strategic communications, alliance and movement building, and knowledge management and research are managed effectively and efficiently, always steering towards SKI’s high-level goals
- oversee SKI budgets and finances, with the support of the Biowatch Finance Manager
- Develop and maintain relationships with all key SKI stakeholders (partners, donors, allies, consultants, etc.)
- Ensure that the interface between the SKI team (and its programme of work) and Biowatch is functional and well-managed
- Manage current donor relations and engage in ongoing resource mobilisation, with the support of the Biowatch Director
Competencies, Skills and Experience Required
- At least 5 - 7 years’ experience of team and programme development and management in the NGO sector, ideally in a multi-country/regional context
- Able to manage budgets and make financially and programmatically sound decisions
- Experience in participatory approaches and movement building
- Strong facilitation and negotiation skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to deliver high quality work, on time, in a complex and pressurised environment
- Able to adapt and respond nimbly and effectively as circumstances change – always with SKI’s aims and principles in mind
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office)
- Experience of environmental justice/seed/agroecology would be an advantage
- A relevant degree would be an advantage
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid passport
- You are ready to apply yourself to a challenging and complex programme that will demand ingenuity, innovation and strategic thinking, and presents the potential to make a lasting difference to the Southern African seed and food system
- You care about participatory work and mutual learning and development, as well as being an excellent ‘technical’ project/programme manager who gets things done
- You are committed to environmental justice and to including excluded/marginalised voices in influencing spaces
- You are able to travel for work (this job is 70% office-based, though more travel may be required in the first year)
Please send a cover letter and CV (including 3 relevant references) to email@example.com Subject line: SKI TEAM MANAGER POSITION.
The deadline for receiving applications is 27 January 2020
- This is a 1-year contract with an option for extension.
- The position is based in Biowatch’s Durban office and reports to the Biowatch Executive Director.
- The salary for the position is R632 349.00 per annum, including medical aid; risks benefits; and retirement annuity contributions.
Biowatch South Africa and SKI are committed to the principles of justice, diversity and equity. Preference will be given to members of designated groups.
For more information on Biowatch please visit https://biowatch.org.za.
For more information on SKI please visit https://seedandknowledge.org.