This year Axium Education marks ten years of work in the Eastern Cape Province, catalysing positive change in South African rural schools in order to unlock further economic and social potential in the country as a whole. From an initial science and maths focused team-of-two, the organization has grown to a staff of 80+ serving more than 3500 children in Grades R-12, in 25 schools spread across two districts and based in two villages. Our aim is to double this number in the next 3 – 5 years, while focusing on creating high quality programmes and schools. We are seeking an experienced, dynamic individual who is looking to join our team and impact rural education by managing back office processes that make this all possible.
Based: Remote work is possible, provided regular travel to Zithulele Village (Mqanduli) and Willowvale. Eastern Cape.
Start date: 1 February 2020 or as soon as possible.
Salary: Competitive, market-related (NPO sector) salary
Required Qualifications and skills
- An undergraduate degree in the field of finance
- At least five years’ relevant work experience
- At least two years’ relevant management experience
- Postgraduate finance or management qualification – desirable
- Experience of Xero and Simple Pay – desirable
- Strong written and communication skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Required character traits:
- A passion for education, development and rural communities
- Willingness to live and work in a remote, rural environment with frequent travel
- Highly organized and resourceful, with attention to detail
- Positivity and enthusiasm
- Good team player
- Integrity and honesty
- A strong ability to multi-task
- Flexible and adaptable with a drive to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- A ready sense of humour in times of crisis
- Lead all elements of financial management including assisting in setting financial strategy & controls
- Oversee the budget and maintenance thereof
- Monthly/quarterly reporting to teams, funders and the board
- Managing the annual audit
- Ensuring company compliance with all legal and external requirements
- Support the bookkeeping and payroll
- Working with the COO and Organisational Development Manager to develop and implement strong finance policies and procedures
- Reviewing, implementing and driving existing procurement and other finance polices and processes Manage the finance team and support reconciliations and troubleshooting
- Develop junior staff on the finance team
- Supporting programme managers in their budgeting process
- Ensure excellence in finance including vendor relationships, procurement, record keeping, and continual process improvement.
- Help the executive team in creating an organisational environment that is transparent, collaborative, efficient, and effective.
Please send applications to email@example.com.
For your application to be considered, please ensure that your application includes the following:
- CV (with references)
- a motivation letter
- a copy of your ID
- Please include the TITLE of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Application closes on 15 January 2020.