Institute for Justice and Reconciliation
The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) was founded in 2000 in the wake of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and with the purpose of building of fair, democratic and inclusive societies in Africa. They are an independent organisation located at the interface between civil society and academia. The Communications and Advocacy’ unit at IJR seeks to employ a dynamic individual as the programme intern from January 2020 - December 2020. The Communications and Advocacy objective is to engage all stakeholders in a relevant way that informs, advocates and sets the agenda for justice and reconciliation.
IJR seeks to appoint a Communications Intern to be based in Cape Town.
Employment type: 11-month period
The purpose of this position is to assist the Communications and Advocacy team with internal communications, media monitoring, online profiling of the Institute and monitoring and evaluation, as well as ad hoc tasks that may arise, including events management. Ideally, the candidate should have a clear understanding and adherence to communications processes.
- Compile and gather content for the organisational newsletter;
- Update and report on IJR ‘news and events’;
- Assist with marketing and branding;
- Assist with the development of online campaigns and messages;
- Conduct media monitoring and produce media clippings;
- Conduct media research and Google analytics;
- Assist with website and social media updates;
- Assist with media relations;
- Assist with adhoc programme filing, scanning and administration tasks;
- Assist with event planning and logistics
This internship will expose and train the successful candidate in the following areas, over the 11-month period. The intern will work across a spectrum of communication tasks which will include social media marketing, media relations media tracking/monitoring, photography, website management and events among others.
- Good writing skills in English and preferably another South African language
- Computer literacy skills (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint)
- Understanding of the usage of social media for organisations
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Creative and pro-active, responsible and accountable
- Responsible and accountable
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to work under pressure
- Educational Requirements:
Qualifications: BA in Marketing/Communications Science /Journalism
Please submit your CV with a minimum of 2 references, a motivational letter and written sample of your work (published article, blog entry – not academic)
Only applications with ALL of the required documentation will be accepted.
Duration of the contract: 11 months (14th January – 15th December 2020)
- This position will only be offered to South African nationals or candidates with permanent residence status in South Africa.
- Monthly stipend of R5 500
- IJR will not cover relocation costs
Applications to be sent to: Veronique Adonis email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more information about IJR refer to https://www.ijr.org.za/
For other opportunities in the NGO sector, refer to http://www.ngopulse.org/opportunities