Contract Type: Event Based linked to funding
Location: Sedibeng (3), Cape Winelands (3), Nkangala (3)
CareWorks’ KPIF project is South Africa is aimed at reducing the number of new HIV infections in Key Population groups, specifically Men who have Sex with Men (MSM). We therefore seek to employ 9 qualified Peer Recruiters who will be seconded to locally identified Civil Society Organisation (CSO)s within specific sub-districts, responsible for overseeing HIV services tailored at meeting the needs of the MSM clients. The comprehensive package of services available to MSM clients includes HTS, STI screening and treatment, ART initiation and PrEP initiation with ongoing patient management support in order to reach the 95/95/95 PEPFAR targets.
The program provides community-based outreach services and, therefore, this position is not a clinic-based position but rather required to work in the field, linked to outreach and mobile service delivery. The sub-districts for the project are Sedibeng (Gauteng), Cape Winelands (Western Cape) and Nkangala (Mpumalanga). The Peer Recruiters will be employed by the CSO directly, with a direct reporting line to CareWorks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
MSM Peer Recruiters should have an in-depth understanding of specific HIV and health issues related to men who have sex with men. MSM Peer Recruiters will collaborate with the Professional Nurse and the local MSM CSO to support clients in accessing HIV testing services, enrolling in care and accessing services they need to maintain healthy lives and achieve their health-related goals.
Peer Recruiter duties include:
- Mobilising MSM clients into programme services through community outreach, CSO networks and other MSM Peer groups in their allocated district.
- Conducting community-based outreach including conducting individual- and group-level behavior change communication sessions in hot spots and other venues, providing commodities such as condoms and lubricants and booking HIV Testing Services (HTS)
- Maintaining an updated record of number of clients 1) supported to HTS, 2) tested, 3) tested HIV positive, 4) linked into care, etc
- Assisting with accompaniment to appointments (including support with transportation)
- Providing adherence, psychosocial and emotional support to clients
- Issuing routine appointment reminders, follow-up for missed appointments, and tracking of those lost to follow-up (working closely with the Patient Management team)
- Providing Pre-Test Counselling to clients as well as HTS (finger prick) to support the Professional Nurse (when required, not compulsory)
- Performing other duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Matric or equivalent NQF with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in facilitation, education and counselling support
- Whilst HIV Lay Counselling and Finger Pricking is not compulsory for the position, those candidates who have a valid certificate in HIV Counselling & Testing, Adherence Counselling and training in basic HAST will be given preference
- Must have a good understanding of HIV, AIDS and STI treatment and care
- Must have the ability to engage with clients on an individual level and within a group setting
- Must have proven experience of working with Key Population groups, specifically MSM
- Valid Driver's License advantageous
- Intermediate computer literacy and report writing
- Must be currently living in Sedibeng, Cape Winelands or Nkangala (relocation and transport allowance from outside of these districts will not be provided)
- Candidates who are MSM will be given preference
- As this is a field-based position, the incumbent must have the ability to work remotely and without supervision
- Ability to work non-traditional hours (i.e. night outreach and weekends)
- Comfortable with field-based service delivery
- Reliable and responsible
- Customer service skills
- Organised and task-orientated
- Problem solving and decision-making ability
Should have good written, oral and interpersonal English communication skills. Knowledge and fluency in local languages (dependant on location) is an advantage.
Must have a basic understanding of MS Office suite particularly MS Word and MS Excel.
Competitive based on qualifications, skills and experience.
Please note that only candidates who meet the above requirements will be considered.
Should you qualify and be interested in applying for the above-mentioned vacancy, please forward your updated CV with a covering letter and your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled. CareWorks seeks to appoint these positions immediately.