Society for Family Health (SFH)
Society for Family Health (SFH) is a South African affiliate of Population Services International (PSI), an international NGO network that operates in over 50 countries. SFH in South Africa currently concentrates on issues of HIV/ AIDS with the view to strategically expand to other public health areas. As part of its HIV/AIDS control efforts, SFH is using social marketing to motivate behaviour change concerning consistent condom use, HIV testing, and other safer behaviours.
SFH is seeking to fill the exciting and challenging role of Associate Legal Counsel.
Department Legal Services
Location Cape Town, South Africa
Employment status Permanent
Reports toGeneral Counsel (GC)
Duties and Requirements
- Analyzes & negotiates unique contract requirements, terms, conditions & special provisions to ensure compliance with applicable regulations & PSI objectives
- Advises PSI internal clients/BU’s on contractual rights/obligations & provides interpretation/guidance on contract terms & conditions
- Drafts, edits & finalize briefs, memoranda, reports, legal opinions, correspondence & other legal documents
- Performs special projects & legal portfolio management as requested by GC
- Reviews the legal, business & regulatory environment for legal changes & new risks
- Reviews & interprets legislation/regulations & local country laws applicable to PSI’s operating jurisdictions
- Provides oversight & management of legal matters outsourced to external counsel
- Supports PSI’s Legal Services Team in terms of audit requests & reviews by outside agencies as required
- Identifies, analyzes & escalates high-risk matters to the GC & and keeps the GC updated on progress & resolution of these matters
- Identifies, develops, implements & models standard operating procedures & legal best practices to achieve PSI’s strategic objectives, while minimizing costs & mitigating legal risk to PSI
- Maintains a high ethical standard of practice, including compliance with all PSI policies & procedures & supports Ethics & Compliance Program(s)
- Manages Legal services systems, processes; provides inputs to trainings, policy, procedure development etc.
REQUIRED SKILLS & PREFERED QUALIFICATIONS
- Certified Commercial Contracts Manager (CCCM) or LLM (Corp/Commercial law)
- Independent judgment & analysis applied to resolution of legal/contractual issues
- Ability to influence, negotiate effectively & devise workable options & solutions
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound interpretation/application of statutes & regulations
- Excellent interpersonal skills - communicate/interact effectively both internally & externally
- Ability to work in a fast pace, complex environment & effectively multi-task to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of Software Applications
- Excellent English verbal & written communication skills
- Travel occasionally; work long or flexible hours as needed
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent & license to practice law in at least one jurisdiction
- 5 years’ relevant legal experience with at least 3 years focusing on contracts/in-house legal
- Experience drafting, negotiating & managing complex, wide-ranging, multi-party transactions & agreements
- Experience interacting with BU’s & managing diverse legal portfolios aligned to strategic program goal.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your full application to email@example.com by 13 December 2019. All application submissions will be reviewed and considered; only the most qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted for interviews. SFH is an equal opportunity employer.