GreenCape is a non-profit organisation that supports the development of the green economy – one that is low carbon, resource efficient and socially inclusive. We assist green technology businesses and investors focusing on green technologies and services to remove barriers to investment and growth.
Driven by GreenCape’s 5-year strategy, the organisation is expecting to double in size in the next five years.
For more details on GreenCape, see www.greencape.co.za
Remuneration: Market related salary and contribution towards medical aid benefits
Requirement: Post-graduate degree (or graduate degree and relevant work experience) in human resource management, industrial psychology, or business administration
Job level: Mid-level with potential to grow to managerial level
GreenCape is looking for an ambitious and driven HR professional who would be motivated to help the organisation, its current staff and future hires to achieve GreenCape’s ambition to expand in reach, size and impact. As GreenCape is an organisation staffed with a diverse, high-performance team, it is critical that the HR professional is experienced in dealing with, and motivated to be part of, such a team. Particular interest, skills and demonstrable experience in creating an enabling environment for personal development (including the associated systems for career planning, performance management and training) will thus be critical. GreenCape expects to scale up its Internship Programme. The HR Officer will have a key role in this through support in the design of the Internship Programme and will ultimately be responsible for the end-to-end management of the Internship Programme
Supported by the Exco member responsible for HR, responsibilities will include:
- Governance: review, updating, application and monitoring of compliance with HR policies and procedures in line with GreenCape’s overall strategy and policies
- Legal compliance: remaining up to date on legal requirements; ensuring compliance and reporting to relevant government departments (COIDA, BCEA, H&S, UIF, Employment Equity (EE Plan and EE Reporting); Skills and Training (Workplace Skills Plan and Annual Training Report), as well as monthly internal reporting on changes in legislation and compliance.
- Recruitment and Selection: managing the recruitment process end-to-end aligned with GreenCape’s transformation strategy and EE Plan; analysis of recruitment statistics and record keeping for EE purposes.
- Employee Onboarding, Administration and Exit: managing staff induction and exits, including updates / improvements to induction and exit procedures and systems; maintenance of staff administrative records; monitoring of staff probation including liaison with staff and managers.
- Remuneration & Benefits: monthly payroll including liaison with external HR administrative system & payroll service provider; managing annual increase and bonus process; managing of any job grading and salary benchmarking processes; administration of medical aid including liaison with broker and HR administrative system service provider; administration of all types of leave (annual, sick, family responsibility, compassionate, long service, study, special, maternity/paternity, unpaid) primarily via the online HR administration system.
- Employee Wellness: staff support and proactive wellness interventions
- Learning & Development: support on design and implementation of career planning and progression systems including succession planning with managers and Exco, support on development of training strategy; end-to-end management of training interventions including internal and external individual and group training and mentoring; end-to-end management of enrichment sessions (formal and informal seminar programme), and all administration related to the Workplace Skills Plan(WSP) and Annual Training Report (ATR). Note in particular the emphasis on this aspect of the role for this position and GreenCape’s intent to scale up its Internship Programme outlined above.
- Employee Relations: management of processes for disciplinary actions and grievances
- Performance Management: end-to-end management of performance review process (twice yearly); support in design of improvements to performance review process in line with changes to processes for career- and succession planning.
- Transformation: support to GreenCape’s Exco in transformation; managing all processes related to the EE Plan and annual EE reporting (including convening of the EE Committee; liaison with external EE support consultants; record keeping); convening of GreenCape’s Diversity Committee; initiating proactive interventions to promote understanding of and engagement on diversity.
- Culture and Change Management: support Exco team to institutionalise GreenCape culture and values; support Exco team to plan and manage organisational change.
- Internal HR Staff Communication: act as central point of contact for all official HR-related communication to and from staff (individually and collectively).
Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Post-graduate degree (or graduate degree and relevant work experience) in human resource management, industrial psychology, or business administration
- At least 5-8 years HR experience in a dynamic, high performance environment
- Thorough knowledge of labour and other relevant HR legislation
- Demonstrable experience in creating an enabling environment for personal development (including the associated systems for career planning, performance management and training), and a particular interest in this
- The ability to confidently initiate and foster productive, professional relationships internally and externally with relevant government departments, training providers and HR service providers
- Integrity and ability to build and maintain staff trust
- Problem solving skills and decision making ability
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to self-manage, multi-task and to prioritise
- Innovative and driven
- Emotionally intelligent
The following will be an advantage:
- Previous experience in setting up and managing an internship programme
- Multi-lingual in at least three South African languages
Contract length and remuneration
This is a 14-15-month contract position (January/February 2020 to March 2021) and is full-time, subject to GreenCape’s standard contracting conditions. Contract renewal will depend on performance and the HR requirements of the organisation at the time. There will be a three-month probation period for this position.
Remuneration will be market-related, with the recognition that GreenCape is a not-for-profit organisation. Medical aid is offered as an employee benefit (subject to some conditions).
Offers made will take qualifications, experience and level of responsibility into account.
Applications and queries can be submitted via email to the Chief Knowledge Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 09h00 on Thursday 28 November 2019. Interviews will be held in the week of 2 December 2019. The successful candidate will start on 2 January 2020 or as soon possible thereafter.
Applications must include:
- A well written letter of motivation indicating what motivates the candidate to apply for the role:
- What the candidate feels he/she brings to the role that would make him/her a preferred candidate;
- An indication of salary expectations;
- An indication of when the candidate would be available to commence work
- Please also note how the candidate became aware of the job opportunity
- A detailed CV
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Proof of eligibility to work in South Africa (copy of SA ID or work permit)
CV’s must be submitted no later than 9h00 am of the 29th of November 2019
Only candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Candidates who have not heard from GreenCape by 20 December 2019 should consider their application unsuccessful.
Note that GreenCape reserves the right to not appoint to positions or to change the role in response to applicant abilities and interests. Preference will be given to designated groups and people with disabilities. All appointments will be done in accordance with our Employment Equity Plan.