VMMC Lay Counsellor (x1) - Giyani (Limpopo)
VMMC Lay Counsellor needed to support a district-based Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision program and work with other clinical staff to provide VMMC procedures to clients.
- Perform pre and post operation circumcision counselling
- Perform pre and post HIV test counselling
- Participate in demand creation activities i.e. Mobilise patients for HIV testing and circumcision
- Screen patients for TB, STI’s etc.
- Assist clients in the creation of appropriate risk deduction strategies
- Assist and refer clients in the selection of appropriate clinical support through referrals (Linkage to Care).
- Provide quality counselling for clients on HIV/AIDS, circumcision and safe sex practices
- Refer patients to health facilities for further health services and follow ups
- Ensure proper recording of all client results and information whilst maintaining confidentiality (Complete HTS registers in full daily)
- Ensure that informed consent processes are well documented and take consent from clients
- Adhere to QA procedures according to national SOPs.
- Compile Counselling reports and statistics
- Perform finger-prick testing for clients
- Identify operational needs for the site and reports to the site coordinator, as needed.
- Strive to achieve client targets and expectations.
- Adhere to the rules and regulations of the organisation
- Involved in the day-to-day operational aspects of the VMMC site project and scope of work.
- Conduct waste management according to the Biohazardous Waste Disposal SOP
- Proficiency Testing of test kits (PTS)
- Independent Quality Control of test kits (IQC)
- Provide support to other team members
- Any other duties as required
Qualifications, Experience & Requirements:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Post matric qualification in related field
- Training in HIV Counselling and testing with a valid certificate
- Male circumcision counselling training certificate preferred
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in counselling and testing
- Basic knowledge on HIV/ AIDS, TB and STI’s.
- Good communication and listening skills
- Attention to detail
- Non-judgmental, trustworthy and empathetic personality
- Committed to treatment of HIV, STI and TB
- Strong personality and work ethics, with an ability to maintain confidentiality
- Works well with other team members
- Valid driver’s licence (2 years and older) ,with PDP will be an added advantage
- Excellent counselling and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work non-traditional working hours, which may include weekends from time to time
- Willingness to work after hours
- Ability to travel as and when required
- Ability to communicate in multiple languages will be an added advantage
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application must include the following:
- A cover letter motivating for your application
- Position and location you are applying for
- Pulse Health reserves the right not to fill this vacancy or withdraw the advertisement at any stage during the recruitment stage
- Pulse Health will not pay for relocation costs for candidates who wish to take up positions in a different district or sub-district
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted