John Snow Inc (JSI)
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), a Boston-based public health management firm dedicated to providing high quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs throughout the United States and the low- and middle-income countries, is currently recruiting for a Senior Manager Finance and Operations for a USAID-funded HIV prevention, care and treatment program in South Africa.
Role Description and Purpose:
The Snr Manager Finance and Operations will oversee finance, administrative, operations, and compliance related to the above-mentioned project. This includes financial analysis; budget preparation and tracking, monthly finance reports, operations and compliance oversight. This role will report to the Senior Program Manager, with a dotted line reporting to the JSI/SA Business Operations Manager. The position will be based in Pretoria.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Financial Management:
- Oversee EPIC project budget in coordination with the Senior Program Manager and HO Finance Manager
- Prepare budgets and projections for the Senior Program Manager to ensure project is meeting targeted expenditures;
- Monitor project expenditures by reviewing and updating the Budget Tracking System (BTS) against planned budgets and obligations;
- Provide accurate and reliable financial information and analysis to both field office and home office management and technical teams on a monthly and as needed basis;
- Ensure all required financial reports are prepared and submitted to the appropriate persons on time, reports include (but are not limited to):
- Annual costed workplan
- Monthly budgets for technical teams
- Annual project budget submitted to Senior Program Manager at start of project year
- Monthly and quarterly project burn rate/pipeline submitted to the Senior Program Manager
- Monthly and quarterly burn rate by sub-contractors
- Monthly BTS, Field accounts, ad-hoc reports
- PEPFAR Expenditure Reports
- Ensure adherence to the policies and procedures outlined in the JSI Operations Manual;
- Submission of monthly field accounts which includes adequate supporting documentation per JSI policy
- Oversee timely VAT reimbursement submissions;
- Prepare financial cash flow requests for home office vis a vis budget needs
- Approve timely payments and ensure that all vendors submit accurate invoices, especially where is a substantial pre-payment or early payment discount, are paid on time;
- Ensure that late payments are minimized, especially those that accrue penalties;
- Assist the Senior Program Manager to respond to donor requests for project information, including financial and operations reports;
- Assist the JSI/Business Operations Manager with audit planning, preparation and completion for JSI/South Africa;
- Collaborate with the JSI/Business Operations Manager to ensure that the JSI South Africa country program is complaint with South African statutory requirements
- Oversee three (3) EPIC regional offices in South Africa to ensure efficient operations to support program implementation. This includes administration, procurement, staffing and risk management.
- Ensure standard procedures and accurate records for EPIC inventory management per JSI Operations Manual
- Oversee travel requests and support to all field staff working on the EPICI project and assist in ensuring compliance with travel policies and procedures;
- In collaboration with the JSI/Business Operations Manager, assist the Senior Program Manager to disseminate changes in JSI policies and procedures to all staff;
- Supervise all EPIC financial and administrative staff;
- Attend the monthly technical meetings and lead the weekly F&A meetings;
- Participate in monthly F&A calls with the HO team
- Collaborate with the JSI/Business Operations Manager for communicating with JSI/SA central services such as auditors, lawyers.
- Ensure adequate training is provided to F&A teams and conduct visits to offices/sites as needed.
3. Contract Management:
- Accountability for award compliance with USG regulations, JSI policy, and local laws.
- Ensure technical teams have received training in JSI policies and Award terms.
- Draft and administer procurement and consultant contracts and sub-grants, including the drafting and processing of amendments as necessary;
- Ensure that all vendors/sub-contractors are sourced in accordance to JSI policy and award terms. Maintain project-wide electronic and paper filing system for project
- Maintain system for tracking vendors contracts and grants performance terms and funding commitments. Provide monthly report on sub-contractors’ progress and payments;
- Advise Senior Program Manager on JSI policy and award terms in compliance with USAID rules and regulations with project implementation of the JSI sub-award in South Africa and ensure compliance;
- Provide support and guidance to staff on contracts administration issues.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree, Majoring in Accounting essential requirement; MBA degree an added advantage.
- Qualification in ACCA, CIMA or CTA an added advantage.
- 5 years working experience in financial management and accounting systems at the senior level; USAID/PEPFAR essential requirement.
- Extensive experience working with accounting software systems required.
- Demonstrable organizational skills will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to implement procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is an essential requirement.
- Demonstrable strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Familiarity and understanding of country audit requirements will be an essential requirement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and relationship building skills, especially in a cross-cultural environment, and ability to analyze and solve problems, persuade, network and negotiate will be an added advantage.
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without direct supervision is an essential requirement.
- Strong time management/task prioritization skills will be an essential requirement.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Access will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of QuickBooks financial software will be an added advantage;
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills. Foreign language skills preferred.
Closing Date for Applications: 15th November 2019 after which, it will be rolling for consideration until we find a suitable candidate. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as directed below.
Via email (Specify on the Subject Line: Senior Manager Finance and Operations) to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not receive a response 30 day after the advert closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful. We take this opportunity to thank you for your application and your interest in JSI.