Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS)
The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under Aids Foundation of South Africa (AFSA), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and youths, in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in Mbombela Subdistricts, Ehlanzeni District in Mpumalanga Province from April 2019 – March 2022.
As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, based in Mbombela Subdistrict.
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Clinical Manager/ Team Lead: AGYW Biomedical Services will lead and manage the delivery of biomedical interventions for in-school and out-of-school AGYW in Mbombela Subdistrict, in close collaboration with the Centre Manager: Out-of-School AGYW Program and the In-School Program Coordinator. She will lead and manage the AGYW program clinical roving team in Mbombela Subdistrict, as well as coordinate the delivery of biomedical interventions (HIV, TB, STI, SRH) for AGYW aged between 15 – 24 years.
- Lead the overall planning, implementation, coordination and monitoring of the AGYW biomedical interventions for AGYW aged 15 – 24 years in the Subdistrict to achieve results against set objectives;
- Oversee overall mapping of health facilities and PrEP sites for the provision of comprehensive biomedical services in the Subdistrict;
- Establish and manage relationships with key stakeholders i.e. government departments, community leadership, and other relevant stakeholders and sectors;
- Advocate for effective roll-out of biomedical AGYW interventions including PrEP in identified sites, and implement needs-based capacity building activities i.e. training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision for health care providers;
- Make sure the implementation of biomedical interventions supports and is aligned with relevant government guidelines and policies i.e. DOE, DSD, DOE, etc.;
- Work closely with the strategic information (SI) team to ensure the biomedical AGYW service delivery related data is collected, validated, reported and appropriately utilised to inform evidence-based program planning, decision-making and continuous quality improvement;
- Provide ongoing needs-based training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision to the AGYW program roving team;
- Lead the AGYW program roving team in conducting on-site data verification and routine data quality (DQA) assessments;
- Represent the AGYW program roving team in all relevant platforms as appropriate;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager and IHPS senior management team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Command of local languages would be an added advantage;
- Experience in program management i.e. development, work planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER); financial management and understanding and tracking of budgets;
- Experience in managing and building capacity (i.e. training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision) of a roving team teams, including facilitation skills;
- Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision;
- A team player with good interpersonal skills;
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills;
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and project management tools
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced Diploma in Nursing Sciences;
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council (SANC);
- NIMART trained and certified as competent to work independently;
- A minimum of 2 years NIMART experience;
- 3-5 years’ experience of working at a clinic (PHC or CHC) facility;
- Familiarity with latest national HIV, STIs and TB policies and guidelines;
- Proven leadership and management experience Global Fund, PEPFAR or other relevant donor funded programming experiences would be an added advantage.
- In-depth understanding of government social development, health and basic education systems; Mpumalanga Province-specific experience is preferable.
As the AGYW program clinical team lead, there will be regular travel to designated AGYW sites to provide biomedical services to AGYW in Mbombela Subdistrict.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position and subdistrict you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
NO PHONE CALLS in reference to these positions will be accepted.