Health-e News Service
Health-e News Service is South Africa’s award-winning dedicated health news service producing news and in-depth analysis for the country’s print and television media. In 2012, Health-e News opened a nationwide citizen journalism arm called “OurHealth.” which provides print features for newspapers, magazines and websites, and TV documentaries broadcasted on SABC, eTV and M-Net.
Health-e News Service seeks to appoint a Finance and Operations Manager to be based in Johannesburg.
The purpose of the position is to be responsible for day to day general management and administration of the organization’s finance and operations functions. The position holder is expected to work within the Health-e News Service Financial Policies and Procedures to ensure that all Health-e News policies and procedures, donor regulations, accounting standards and local laws are fully complied with.
- Financial Management and Control
- Ensuring effective implementation of Health-e News finance and accounting policies and procedures within the overall framework and structure.
- Undertake regular reviews of finance and accounting policy stipulations in Health-e News Service manuals.
- Reviewing and keeping proper records of all receipts, payments, accruals and related accounts.
- Continuously review, evaluate, develop and implement an internal control system to maintain the financial integrity of Health-e News.
- Interpret and comply with the Health-e News Financial Policies and Procedures.
- Develop and regularly review and update an appropriate Risk Register/Matrix for finance.
- Manage the cash flow of Health-e and ensure the organisation has sufficient cash to enable effective implementation of programme work and meet immediate obligations.
- Participate in and/or facilitate organisational and capacity assessment and development .
- Review grant requests to partners in line with Health-e News approved budget and policies.
- Ensure the organization’s assets and liabilities are safeguarded and recorded correctly.
- Budget Planning
- Preparing, processing and consolidating necessary budget information in line with the planning guidelines and specific needs of Health-e News Service.
- Support the CEO with fundraising efforts by developing the budgets for funding proposal and providing any required financial documents to support proposal submissions including copies of external audit reports etc.
- Prepare detailed forecasts and expenditure budgets and summary budget tables and ensure that they are consistent with Health-e’s requirements.
- Timely and accurate preparation of monthly management accounts, quarterly management and statutory reports according to reporting schedules, tables and analyses;
- Prepare and submit financial reports as per organisational and statutory requirement/required by local legislation.
- Ensure that effective systems are in place to allow adequate financial monitoring.
- Ensure period end/year end processing aspects are adhered to.
- Overseeing the procurement process including annual tendering and bidding process.
- Review contract with suppliers to make sure that terms and conditions on finance are in line with policy/practice.
- Oversee responsibility for the organisations security and IT related issues.
- Responsible as direct line manager of finance and operations staff by developing individual work plans, managing performance, providing induction, training, coaching.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), actively participate in the management meeting to contribute to strategic decision making and the overall development of Health-e News, as well as in the communication and implementation of agreed upon decisions.
- Assist in the recruitment, assessment, development and induction of finance and non-finance staff for Health-e News programme offices and projects.
- Bachelor of Accounting or a professional certification in Accounting or its equivalent from a recognized University;
- A minimum of 8 years post qualification experience in position of senior operations/ HROD and financial management, preferably in the NGO sector of which 3 must be at a senior management position.
- Membership to a reputable Professional Accountancy
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis
- Proficiency in Proficiency in English and a familiarity with at least one local South African language.
- Has good knowledge of South Africa Labour laws and employee relations systems Very good knowledge of computerised accounting systems packages and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic leadership and management.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, strong interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to handle sensitive negotiations on matters
- Strong conceptual, analytical, documentation and presentation skill
- High degree of integrity, dependability and confidentiality.
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter to Charity Ndhlovu at email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Health-e News Service refer to www.health-e.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies