School of Hard Knocks
School of Hard Knocks uses rugby to help young people improve their well-being and make better choices when it comes to risky behaviour, education and their career paths. For school children at risk of dropping out of mainstream education we offer weekly life skills through rugby coaching and mentoring. Their philosophy is to offer emotional support and physical challenges to develop learners inner resources so that they grow in their ability to self assess, manage their emotions, and make better choices when it comes to education, risky behaviour and their career paths. Support is offered for up to three years to improve behaviour, attendance and attainment. SOHK’s schools programme is a 2 year intervention, working with groups of around 20 pupils from G10 through until they finish G12 and complete their matric. The pupils will be chosen by the school and will typically be the ‘hardest to reach’ young people. We will work with them for half a day every week, delivering rugby training, classroom sessions on career paths and mental health experts will deliver weekly 1:1s for each pupil.
SOHK seeks to appoint Life Skills Coach to be based in Cape Town.
Remuneration: Negotiable based on experience.
The purpose of the position will be to be responsible for their frontline delivery predominantly in the CBD of Cape Town. Working as part of our small team, they will focus on the schools curriculum of the charity and mentoring young people. Each day of an SOHK course entails a mixture of responsibilities to act as mentor, coach and role model for the participants.
- You will be extremely driven and passionate to deliver the charity’s objectives
- You will set standards in your own delivery, being meticulous in your preparation and reviews.
- You will be able to challenge people constructively.
- You will be highly motivational.
- You will care passionately about the success of our beneficiaries and support them to realise their potential.
- You will be full of enthusiasm and positive energy and a great role model to those on our courses.
- You will have a growth mindset, always ready to accept new challenges
- You will have some experience of youth development programs
- You have basic knowledge of rugby and have coached sports previously to adolescents
- Programme delivery (70%):
- Working with the SOHK SA team to deliver the School of Hard Knocks schools course. This involves coaching as well as mentoring participants.
- Building strong relationships (20%):
- Working with teachers and schools staff, ensuring their satisfaction and working towards securing a following years contract.
- Continuous improvement (5%):
- Using your creativity to drive ever-improving standards of delivery; using self and peer-review systems to improve your ability to help participants.
- Reporting (5%):
- Reporting on progress against targets, capturing monitoring and evaluation data and assisting the charity’s communications and fundraising teams by providing case studies, testimonials and media from courses.
16-20 hours p/week
If you’d like to apply for this position please fill in the Form at this link:
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about SOHK, refer to https://www.schoolofhardknocks.co.za/contact
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies